"The History of Montreal" Montreal by shiran_d
Montreal Travel Guide: 3,700 reviews and 6,891 photos
In 1535, Jacques Cartier visited the Iroquois village of Hochelaga, which was on the island of Montreal, and named the mountain in the center Mount Royal. in 1611, Samuel de Champlain oversaw the first construction by Europeans on the island, near what is today St-Pierre Street in Old Montreal.
The fledgling community grew as a part of New France, until it was taken over by British troops in 1760. In 1792, the town was divided into two sections, east and west, along the length of Saint Laurent Street. The first street lights appeared on Saint-Paul Street in 1815, and McGill University received its charter in 1821.
In 1833, after the city was incorporated, Jacques Viger was elected Montreal's first mayor. Montreal's prominence as a port led to its rapid industrial development as an industrial city, and by the time of confederation in 1867, the city was the capitol of commerce and trade in the new country.
Montreal, the island in the St. Lawrence river, is the collection of municipalities defining urban Quebec.
Montreal and its many cultures attempt to create a melting pot, but the cultures, like flavours, remain distinct and noticable enriching the cosmopolitain experience.
- In a nutshell:In North America, French culture, the official language is French.
shiran_d's Related Pages
Montreal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bienvenue a Montreal! (Welcome!!!)"
- "A Wonderful Winter Weekend!"
- "Fall in love with Montréal..."
- "MONTRÉAL - our entry to Canada"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Montreal
- Hotels in Montreal
- Transportation in Montreal
- Nightlife in Montreal
- Restaurants in Montreal
- Shopping in Montreal
- Warnings and Dangers in Montreal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Montreal
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Montreal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Montreal
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Longyearbyen Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Tokyo Intro, 36 reviews, 51 photos
- Riga Intro, 20 reviews, 22 photos
- Kangerlussuaq Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Athens Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Vilnius Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos
- Barentsburg Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- London Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Venice Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos