"The Prefecture of Arta" Arta by shiran_d
Arta Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 96 photos
In ancient times, the city of Amvrakia, at the site of today’s capital, was important for its development and its commercial activity. It was so wealthy that it was able to provide many ships to its ally Sparta, during the Peloponesian War. In 295 BC, Pirros, king of Epiros, chose it as capital of his kingdom. In recent times, after a long Turkish domination, the region was among the first ones to participate in revolution for independence against the Turks. In 1881 it was liberated and became part of Greece.
The principal agricultural products are citrus fruits, beans, olives, walnuts and cotton. Electricity is generated in the region. Its industry processes fuit juices. Fish are also a product of the region
- In a nutshell:On its green mountains, there are traditional villages that offer quiet and pleasant vacations.
shiran_d's Related Pages
Arta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Prefecture of Arta"
- "not so nice but interesting"
- "Arta with its famous Old Bridge"
- "ARTA GREECE"
- "The Great Arta City"
- "The Prefecture of Arta"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Arta
- Hotels in Arta
- Transportation in Arta
- Restaurants in Arta
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Arta
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Arta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Arta
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Longyearbyen Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Tokyo Intro, 36 reviews, 51 photos
- Riga Intro, 20 reviews, 22 photos
- Kangerlussuaq Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Athens Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Vilnius Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos
- Barentsburg Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- London Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Seoul Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos