"SELFOSS" Selfoss by shiran_d
Selfoss Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 109 photos
The town Selfoss started developing in 1891, when a suspension bridge was built across the most voluminous river in Iceland, Olfusa. This bridge collapsed in 1944 and a new one was constructed immediately. The community strengthened greatly in 1930, when the co-operative shop and the dairy were established. Selfoss, sometimes referred to as the capital of the South, received its municipal rights in 1978 and the inhabitants base their livelihood on services rendered to the agricultural surroundings, small industries, commerce and tourism.
Some salmon is caught downriver from the aforementioned bridge. All necessary services for tourists are available in Selfoss. Many people visit the town the whole year round
shiran_d's Related Pages
Selfoss Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Seamandrew's Selfoss Page"
- "The power of water"
- "I am a tourist"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Selfoss
- Hotels in Selfoss
- Restaurants in Selfoss
- Shopping in Selfoss
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Selfoss
- 0 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Selfoss?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Selfoss
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Longyearbyen Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Tokyo Intro, 36 reviews, 51 photos
- Riga Intro, 20 reviews, 22 photos
- Kangerlussuaq Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Athens Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Vilnius Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos
- Barentsburg Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- London Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Venice Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos