"History" Lautoka by shiran_d
Lautoka Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 21 photos
Legend has it that within the bounds of today?s Lautoka town there lived two tribes each with a chief. As a result of an argument one day, a fight broke out between the two chiefs at a spot which is now known as ?Farquhar?s point.? As one chief speared the other he screamed ?LAU-TOKA? meaning ?spear-hit? ot ?hit to win?. And so, Lautoka acquired a name.
The first recorded sighting of Lautoka by a European was at dawn on 7th May, 1789 when Cap. Bligh of HMS ? Bounty? made rough charts of the shores of Lautoka and the mountains in its background while sailing past the west coast of Fiji.
Thirty minutes from Fiji?s second city, Lautoka
Lautoka is the sugar city as many people describe. Sugar cane has been the major industry of Fiji and Lautoka is the Base. Here, one finds the industries, head quarters, the largest sugar mill, central sugar bulk, modern loading facilities and a large wharf.
Raw Sugar cane are being transported by Trains and Lories to Lautoka
- In a nutshell:This is a magical island
Fresh produce, from all over the country. Any tropical types of vegitables and fruits, There were many types of yam. more travel advice
shiran_d's Related Pages
Lautoka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The eye of the storm"
- "Sikh Temple"
- "Just a town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lautoka
- Transportation in Lautoka
- Restaurants in Lautoka
- Shopping in Lautoka
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lautoka
- 3 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Lautoka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lautoka
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Longyearbyen Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Tokyo Intro, 36 reviews, 51 photos
- Riga Intro, 20 reviews, 22 photos
- Kangerlussuaq Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Athens Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Vilnius Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos
- Barentsburg Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- London Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Venice Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos