"RUSSELL" Russell by shiran_d
Russell Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 49 photos
Russell’s seaside setting and ‘Old World’ charm makes it a pleasure to stroll along the esplanade. Quaint colonial buildings line the beachfront and pohutukawa trees provide welcome shade as you gaze at the yachts gently rocking on their moorings.
The town promotes itself as peaceful and ‘romantic’ in contrast to the commercial bustle of Paihia across the bay. That this quiet village atmosphere remains is quite remarkable given Russell’s turbulent history and its unique heritage as the country‘s oldest European settlement.
Originally a fortified Maori village known as Kororareka, meaning ‘how sweet is the penguin’, it became a haven for ship deserters and ruffians in the early whaling days, earning the title of ‘Hellhole of the Pacific.’
- In a nutshell:Plan to spend at least a day in Russell to explore this unique location and soak up the atmosphere
shiran_d's Related Pages
Russell Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Russell - First Capital of New Zealand"
- "Russell, Bay of Islands, New Zealand."
- "Quaint little Russell"
- "Paradise on Earth"
- "Russell - Bay of Islands"
- "Russell "the hell hole of the Pacific""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Russell
- Hotels in Russell
- Transportation in Russell
- Restaurants in Russell
- See All...
Explore the World
- Évora Hotels
- Kampong Bagan Ajam Hotels
- South Carolina
- North Sulawesi Province
- Tamri Hotels
- Kaiaua Hotels
- Herrischried Hotels
- West Springfield
- Banska Bystrica
- Departamento de Cusco
- Whatstandwell Bridge Hotels
- Palm Harbor
Badges & Stats in Russell
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Russell?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Russell
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Longyearbyen Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Tokyo Intro, 36 reviews, 51 photos
- Riga Intro, 20 reviews, 22 photos
- Kangerlussuaq Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Athens Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Vilnius Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos
- Barentsburg Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- London Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Venice Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos