"Heidelberg" Heidelberg by Gwynethart
Heidelberg Travel Guide: 1,029 reviews and 2,733 photos
What captures my imagination about Heidelberg are the little surprises in the streets!
This sculpture was created by Michael Schoenholtz in 1978. It is dedicated to humanist and cosmographer Sebastian Münster, who spent several years in a Franciscan monastery in Heidelberg in the early 16th century.
The Market Square in the old section of Heidelberg has two open-air markets every week, and has several outdoor cafés in the warmer times of the year.
Karl’s Square was named after Grand Duke Karl Friedrich of Baden. Until 1803, there was a Franciscan monastery where the square now is located.
Heidelberg is in the state of Baden-Wuerttemberg, and the old section consists mainly of Baroque architecture.
To view a webcam for Heidelberg:
Heidelberg was first granted permission for its university in 1385, by Pope Urban VI. It opened its doors in 1386, and taught theology, philosophy, jurisprudence, and then also medicine in 1388.
- Pros:Clean, beautiful, old university city.
- In a nutshell:Beauty and history
Heidelberg Castle overlooks the Old Town. It was constructed over 400 years, from Gothic to High Renaissance. Prince... more travel advice
Gwynethart's Related Pages
Heidelberg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Germany's most romantic city: HEIDELBERG"
- "This is not Heidelberg Castle, is it???"
- "Huckleberry Berg"
- "Heidelberg – a constant inspiration"
- "Nemorino in Heidelberg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Heidelberg
- Hotels in Heidelberg
- Transportation in Heidelberg
- Nightlife in Heidelberg
- Restaurants in Heidelberg
- Shopping in Heidelberg
- Warnings and Dangers in Heidelberg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Heidelberg
- 3 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Heidelberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Heidelberg
Photos in HeidelbergSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Warsaw Intro, 20 reviews, 23 photos
- Rio de Janeiro Intro, 7 reviews, 16 photos
- Ouro Prêto Intro, 5 reviews, 17 photos
- Vilnius Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- Porto Alegre Intro, 3 reviews, 14 photos
- Krakow Intro, 6 reviews, 10 photos
- San Anselmo Intro, 8 reviews, 8 photos
- Jolon Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chelyabinsk Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 6 reviews, 5 photos