"Warsaw, New & Old" Warsaw by Gwynethart

Warsaw Travel Guide: 2,959 reviews and 7,133 photos

An unforgettable view...

It has taken me a few months to put together this page on Warsaw. I have many photos to add, but the reason is not because of the amount of photos, it is more because of the conflicting emotions I felt while I was here. I was there for two weeks in March. Cold, snowy, incredibly grey...a city with so much history: splendid, horrific, beautiful, depressing. A city of opposites, and a community of strong and warm people that I am so happy to now know.

The recontruction of the Old Town in Warsaw is nothing short of a miracle. The photos of the bombing after World War II make Warsaw look like a living hell. How these people were able to pull together and create such beauty gives hope to the human race.

This is one of the Jewish memorials in Warsaw. I took a tour of Warsaw, and saw much of the history of this city, from Lazienki Park to remainders of the Communist era, to the Jewish cemetery. By the end of the day, our last stop was the Jewish cemetery. The last thing I saw was a memorial to the children...people were saying, "Oh look, there are photos of the children." I told myself not to look...there were photos set amongst candles and flowers...how was it that everyone was not on there knees sobbing, I don't know. I staggered out of there, blind with tears.

• Last visit to Warsaw: Mar 2005
  • Intro Updated Jun 15, 2005

• y2ketan2007's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2007 at 10:33 AM

Warsaw is one of the great cities in Europe.I hope to do it the next summer if only Poland joins the Schengen treaty.I'm too lazy to apply to individual embassies for visas !

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2007 at 8:01 PM

great pics!

• cazz38's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2006 at 4:47 AM

Gwyneth this is a lovely page on Warsaw.I love your pictures of the old town it looks great.

• whitecliff62's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2006 at 11:28 PM

Hi Gwyneth love your Warsaw page, the architecture is just great, and i like the shop signs as well.

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2005 at 9:26 AM

Streakers !! LOL!! Nicely done Warsaw pages. And belated birthday greetings from Alaska.

• munki's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2005 at 2:24 PM

Hi Gwyneth, You have taken some beatiful pictures of Warsaw and your tips are great. Thanks for sharing.

• virattravels's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2005 at 11:03 AM

A fabulous introduction. I think this has to be the gateway to exploring eastern europe.. thanks!

• chiara76's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2005 at 1:17 AM

Hi there. It is nice to see your nice page about my hometown. Thank you for doing it , it is so nice and photos are beautiful. Maria from Warsaw.

• thecatsmeow's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2005 at 9:50 PM

I love pierogi! I had a friend who used to make them for special occasions. Learned from her grandmother who was from Warsw. Nice page Gwyneth! =^oo^= Joyce

• sprdak11's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2005 at 9:45 AM

Nice travel website! Greetings!

Gwynethart

“One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time. ~Andre Gide”

Badges & Stats in Warsaw