"Where I grew up :)" County Limerick by orlikins
County Limerick Travel Guide: 316 reviews and 375 photos
I'm from a little place that's about 8 miles south of Limerick city, but most Limerick people haven't even heard of it, so there's not much point mentioning it here! For all intents and purposes I would have been school-commuter, as I went to school in Limerick City until I started university in Dublin many moons ago:) In this page, I'll put in various tips etc about the main towns around Co Limerick, like Kilmallock, Kilfinane. I'm not going to bother putting them into separate pages, as I haven't got enough photos to make it worthwhile.
Main towns of County Limerick
Limerick City - so important, it gets its own page! Ireland's 3rd largest metropolis and county capital.
NewCastle West : pretty town on the River Arra, where we recently had a VT meeting.
Dromcollogher - local dresden china factory, but I wouldnt go out of my way to see it. Not open at weekends
Foynes: where Irish coffee was invented! :-) On the Shannon estuary
Kilmallock : busy market town in South East Limerick. Some examples of medieval architecture still exist around the town, like the gate pictured below.
Cappamore: Where my mum is from. Up in the hills. True bogland :) Famous in the Mid-west for its annual agricultural show held every August.
Kilfinane: another busy market town in S.E. Limerick. Located at the base of the Galtee Mountains. Ballyhoura adventure centre if you're looking for a more active country holiday.
Adare: Pretty town outside Limerick on the River Maigue that attracts the city slickers for Sunday lunch & golf & other arts/crafts shops. Adare Manor is the main attraction
Kilmallock is known for it's medieval gate, as you can see here, as well as Bulgaden Castle and Ballyhoura nature trails. The town is about 25 miles south east of Limerick city, very close to the county boundary with Cork.
I dont know Newcastle West (NCW) really well, I just pass through it whenever I'm going down to County Kerry. However You can see everything in NCW in an hour, it's not a tourist town by any means, however it's the main town in West county Limerick.
KathyCollins, Oma14 and their friends Gloria, Dany, Orla & Dolf arranged a VT meeting down in NCW, of course I came along too! Will write more on that later, when i get the pics developed
- Pros:Diverse scenery, a lot of history in evidence around the county
- Cons:Often overlooked by tourists in favour of Clare & Kerry
This is across the road from my parent's house. People climb the hill to visit the cross on holy occasions. more travel advice
Smirting is a combination of the words smoking + flirting, geddit? It started when people had to go out for a ciggie... more travel advice
- See All Motor Bike racing
- See All NewCastle West Restaurant
- NCW tourist traps
- See All List of NCW accomodation
orlikins' Related Pages
County Limerick Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Legends of Lough Gur"
- "County Limerick"
- "limerick city avoid at all costs"
- "Limerick, Ireland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in County Limerick
- Hotels in County Limerick
- Transportation in County Limerick
- Nightlife in County Limerick
- Restaurants in County Limerick
- Shopping in County Limerick
- Warnings and Dangers in County Limerick
- See All...
Badges & Stats in County Limerick
- 77 Reviews
- 70 Photos
- 21 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to County Limerick?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in County Limerick
- Posted in Travel Killarney Forum "Re: Hen weekend"
- Wrote a Review Grady's Hill & the Holy Year Cross in County Limerick Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Grady's Hill & the Holy Year Cross"
- updated a County Limerick Travelogue "Legends of Lough Gur"
- Commented on one of Deefstes's County Limerick travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Dublin Intro, 102 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ireland Intro, 61 reviews, 46 photos
- Kilkenny Intro, 36 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limerick Intro, 46 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Howth Intro, 26 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Belfast Intro, 31 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 36 reviews, 34 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 31 reviews, 38 photos
- County Limerick Intro, 31 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Wexford Intro, 34 reviews, 25 photos