"Where I grew up :)" County Limerick by orlikins

County Limerick Travel Guide: 316 reviews and 375 photos

I'm from a little place that's about 8 miles south of Limerick city, but most Limerick people haven't even heard of it, so there's not much point mentioning it here! For all intents and purposes I would have been school-commuter, as I went to school in Limerick City until I started university in Dublin many moons ago:) In this page, I'll put in various tips etc about the main towns around Co Limerick, like Kilmallock, Kilfinane. I'm not going to bother putting them into separate pages, as I haven't got enough photos to make it worthwhile.

Main towns of County Limerick

Limerick City - so important, it gets its own page! Ireland's 3rd largest metropolis and county capital.
Rathkeale
Askeaton
Askeaton
NewCastle West : pretty town on the River Arra, where we recently had a VT meeting.
Dromcollogher - local dresden china factory, but I wouldnt go out of my way to see it. Not open at weekends
Foynes: where Irish coffee was invented! :-) On the Shannon estuary
Kilmallock : busy market town in South East Limerick. Some examples of medieval architecture still exist around the town, like the gate pictured below.
Cappamore: Where my mum is from. Up in the hills. True bogland :) Famous in the Mid-west for its annual agricultural show held every August.
Kilfinane: another busy market town in S.E. Limerick. Located at the base of the Galtee Mountains. Ballyhoura adventure centre if you're looking for a more active country holiday.
Adare: Pretty town outside Limerick on the River Maigue that attracts the city slickers for Sunday lunch & golf & other arts/crafts shops. Adare Manor is the main attraction

Kilmallock is known for it's medieval gate, as you can see here, as well as Bulgaden Castle and Ballyhoura nature trails. The town is about 25 miles south east of Limerick city, very close to the county boundary with Cork.

NewCastle West VT meeting May 2003

I dont know Newcastle West (NCW) really well, I just pass through it whenever I'm going down to County Kerry. However You can see everything in NCW in an hour, it's not a tourist town by any means, however it's the main town in West county Limerick.

KathyCollins, Oma14 and their friends Gloria, Dany, Orla & Dolf arranged a VT meeting down in NCW, of course I came along too! Will write more on that later, when i get the pics developed

• Pros:Diverse scenery, a lot of history in evidence around the county
  • Cons:Often overlooked by tourists in favour of Clare & Kerry
  • Intro Updated May 20, 2003

• Sagespot's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2006 at 8:31 AM

Great tips! Thanks a ton for the insight. We'll be staying in Limerick for a week (in about two weeks,) so I greatly enjoyed reading your tips. Cheers, Sage

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2006 at 10:34 AM

Great tips! Say hi to Justin for me :) Didn't know about the digs around the Lough - have to check that out next time - any idea who is sponsoring them?

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2004 at 7:28 AM

Thanks for the tour of your home area. It's good to have an "insiders" point of view. Golf tip I thank you for it. Coffee tip was excellent. I'll avoid Adare. Other food tips were appreciated. Good work.

• Janni67's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2003 at 2:56 AM

Nice page, great tips :) Hope to see more than Galway and Dublin on my next visit to your great homecountry :)))

• Alain_Smeets's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2003 at 9:11 AM

Great page and good tips and I will certainly try that Irish coffee in a few weeks when I’m there. Cheers.

• Leipzig's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2003 at 4:16 AM

Interesting page! I printed the tip about the proper Irish Coffee.

• JudyinPA's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2003 at 10:28 AM

St Patricks Day coming soon. Bring your music and come join us.

• Dec 11, 2002 at 4:26 AM

Gwan Limerick! Dat's Riiiight! ;-)

orlikins

“No spam please.”

Badges & Stats in County Limerick

Have you been to County Limerick?