"Orlikins goes to Andorra la Vella" Top 5 Page for this destination Andorra la Vella by orlikins

Andorra la Vella Travel Guide: 92 reviews and 224 photos

The Highest European capital

Andorra la Vella incorporates another town called Escaldes-Endgornay, which can be a bit confusing. Basically Escaldes' main st - Ave Carlmany stretches downhill and you see a sign "Benvinguts a Andorra-la-Vella" down by Pans Sandwich bar. Ave Carlmany is then called Ave Meritxell.

I ended up staying in Andorra-la-Vella for a week after my friend Yvonne broke her leg in a skiing accident in Arinsal and she needed one of us to stay back for company & help organise flights home & the travel insurance company. Normally I would have gone for budget accomodation, but seeing as I wasnt paying for it, I went to one of the top hotels in town :) Most of the time I was in the hospital anyway but i did get to go out & about in A-la-V while I was there.

This picture is of Caldea thermal spas.

What about those street signs for Les Escaldes?

Escaldes originally belonged to A la V up the 1970s. The Endgordany part of town was predominantly rural but Escaldes, lower down the valley slopes thrived off the local natural spas and resulting service industries, making it more economically dominant than Endgordany. It was in 1726 when Les Escaldes merged with Endgordany.

However Escaldes-Endgordany “seceded” from Andorra la Vella town in 1978, becoming a parish & town it its own right. It’s now the 2nd largest parish in terms of population in Andorra

So in order to create a separate identity for itself, Escaldes worked on lots of architectural projects and hotels and developed the Caldea spas.

Endgordany is higher up on the slopes of the surrounding Pyrenees, while Escaldes is around by the Merixtell hospital and spa & Av. Carlemany

Lots of Hotels are signposted in yellow around the town/s.

• Last visit to Andorra la Vella: Feb 2002
  • Intro Updated Nov 29, 2002

• Mikivoyageur's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2006 at 6:10 AM

A friend of mine who was once in Andorra said to me that actualy the Andorran policemen are probably the most poliglote ones in the World... And the sexiest ones too, he said to me... ;)

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2006 at 3:47 AM

Some good and very accurate tips. Sorry to hear about your friend skiing accident. I hope she still likes skiing.

• jelw's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2006 at 3:55 AM

I love my food, I can't imagine waiting till 8pm. Yuk.

• Purpleshade's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2006 at 7:02 PM

Your'e a good sport! Lesley

• ncfg's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2006 at 3:00 PM

Nice page! I visited Andorra La Vella last year and i agree with you the traffic was a bit crazy !

• J.I.M's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2005 at 5:25 AM

Great page, i'll have to be careful of the traffic when I'm out there. Thanks! :) Jim

• trotador's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2004 at 7:37 PM

a full guide. Nice hotel ehhhh, have you tryed the restaurant at Casa Canut???

• Pakistaniguy's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2004 at 4:24 AM

Dear Orla ! I also wanted to go to Andorra when i was in Barcelona but due to shortage of time i couldn't make it. But now from your page i know what i missed ! Thanks for interesting details.

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2003 at 2:10 PM

Looks like an interesting little town in an interesting little country. Nice page.

• May 31, 2003 at 8:10 AM

Excellent, honest tips!

orlikins

“No spam please.”

Badges & Stats in Andorra la Vella

Have you been to Andorra la Vella?

Latest Activity in Andorra la Vella