Killarney Things to Do Tips by orlikins
Killarney Things to Do: 98 reviews and 170 photos
Part of the Killarney National park, Ross castle is a recently renovated castle, dating back from the 1600's. Formerly an English garrison, it's on the shore of Lake Laune. Very narrow spiral staircases, so be careful. €3.80 admission fee which includes a very good guided tour. It's quite cold & draughty inside. Check out the "murder hole" and the banquet rooms. Will have photos developed soon.
Address: Ross road, Killarney
Lake Laune, Killarney
During the year, there is a motor rally around the lakes, if thats what you're into. The Lakes are part of the Killarney National park, however there have been pollution issues so dont go swimming there
If you look at a map of Ireland and see the 2nd peninsula in the south, the Ring of Kerry is just a road around the peninsula encompassing the main towns in the area like Killarney, Caherciveen, Kenmare. Yes, there is some great scenery in some parts of it, but when the Ring road is heavily laden with tour buses, it does spoil the experience - in my most humble opinion.
Address: Kerry Peninsula
Directions: Pick up bus tours in downtown Killarney
Torc waterfall is in the Killarney national park, off the Muckross rd.
In these areas, you will come across more American and German bus tours than you can shake a stick at. The coach tours usually take around the scenic Ring of Kerry, Gap of Dunloe (just a valley, I think it's a bit overrated) and Ladies View (cant see the atttaction there myself, its a mountain valley and I've seen better)
Muckross House and gardens are interesting but the house's only claim to fame is that Queen Victoria stayed there for a night or two and the house was completely redecorated before her visit. €5 entry. Here's a photo of the house.
Address: Down the Muckross rd
More Reviews (23)
- See All The Granary Restaurant
- See All Smirting & The Smoking Ban
- See All Healy Pass
- See All Online booking Killarney Accomodation
- See All Celtic jewellery & hippie things
- See All Where the locals go
orlikins' Related Pages
Killarney Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "There's More to Killarney Than Lakes"
- "The Emerald Isle"
- "tvdm's Kool Kerry and Killarney page"
- "Killarney and the Ring of Kerry"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Killarney
- Hotels in Killarney
- Transportation in Killarney
- Nightlife in Killarney
- Restaurants in Killarney
- Shopping in Killarney
- Warnings and Dangers in Killarney
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Killarney
- 29 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 13 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Killarney?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Killarney
Top 10 Pages
- Dublin Intro, 102 reviews, 127 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ireland Intro, 61 reviews, 46 photos
- Kilkenny Intro, 36 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Limerick Intro, 46 reviews, 37 photos, 1 travelogue
- Howth Intro, 26 reviews, 57 photos, 2 travelogues
- Belfast Intro, 31 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 36 reviews, 34 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 31 reviews, 38 photos
- County Limerick Intro, 31 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Wexford Intro, 34 reviews, 25 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (12)
- Ring of Kerry- 18 Reviews, 26 Photos
- Killarney National Park- 15 Reviews, 18 Photos
- Torc Waterfall- 8 Reviews, 18 Photos
- Ross Castle- 8 Reviews, 19 Photos
- Muckross Abbey- 9 Reviews, 16 Photos
- St. Mary's Cathedral- 3 Reviews, 7 Photos
- Meeting of the Waters- 2 Reviews, 2 Photos
- Dingle- 2 Reviews, 2 Photos
- Travel- 1 Review, 1 Photo
- Connor Pass- 1 Review, 1 Photo