"Zeltingen-Rachtig" Zeltingen-Rachtig by MarekW

Zeltingen-Rachtig Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 38 photos

The arrival

I came to Zeltingen-Rachtig for a wedding that took place in early September at the Kloster Machern across the river, I’ve arrived week early planning to do some sightseeing and spend some time with my family that also arrived ahead of time from Oz. On the arrival on Monday morning I’ve encountered sleepy town with few people walking around and half empty restaurants at lunch time, after all what can you expect in a small tourist town off season and on weekday. Then by the end of the week more people arrived and with wine festival in neighboring town of Bernkastel-Kues the whole area came to life.

The hotel

My first surprise came when I’ve registered at Zeltingen Hof, hotel that I’ve booked online few days earlier, for the E40 I’ve got nice clean room that was recently renovated and excellent service by great staff. I got my second surprise next morning when I came downstairs for a buffet breakfast, this place had it all , great selection of different cold cuts and cheeses, homemade jams, fresh bakery goods I mean just for the breakfast I could stay there longer than a week (did I mentioned I love good food). Based on my experience with the breakfast I had no problem with having lunch at my hotel and then dinner then another lunch and then another dinner ......... Lunches and dinners were great, everything was freshly made with local ingredients.

Mosel Valley

Zeltingen became my base for road trips and I have to confess that location for that was great, there is so much to see around that another week wouldn’t be enough. I took number of road trips around Zeltingen, Cochem and Trier, all those places were great but nothing will ever beat evening drive along Mosel where ever single square meter of soil on the river banks is used for wine growing. OK, so the place I thought will be boring became my “real” vacation spot, relaxing atmosphere of quiet Zeltingen streets gave me the boost I need for upcoming two weeks driving narrow and unpredicted roads of Cinque Terre and Italian Dolomites.

• Pros:Good location for a "basecamp"
  • Cons:Must have car if wants to sightsee beyond the valley
  • In a nutshell:Great place for food, wine and relaxation
  • Last visit to Zeltingen-Rachtig: Sep 2009
  • Intro Updated Dec 27, 2009

Comments

Badges & Stats in Zeltingen-Rachtig

Have you been to Zeltingen-Rachtig?

Latest Activity in Zeltingen-Rachtig