Fribourg Favorite Tips by Tolik Top 5 Page for this destination
Fribourg Favorites: 6 reviews and 9 photos
In the Chapel of the Holy Sepulchre
Favorite thing: Cathédrale St-Nicholas was built between 1283 and 1490. This High Gothic church has a rich architectural decor and houses precious objects from various periods, including Aloys Mooser's famous organs, Jozef Mehoffer's stained-glass windows, and Alfred Manessier's Holy Sepulchre. The vast interior is ivery impressive. The pulpit (1516) and, opposite it, the octagonal font (1499) are both beautiful, and the tracery choir screen (1466) is dazzlingly intricate. The stained glass in the cathedral is modern Art Nouveau; you can spend hours walking from one window to another. Don’t miss the tiny Chapel of the Holy Sepulchre, to the right of the door as you come in, beside a plaque commemorating the mass celebrated here by Pope John Paul II in 1984. Inside the chapel you’ll find a group of 13 figures, sculpted from sandstone in about 1430. Christ is being laid in the tomb by Nicodemus and Joseph of Arimathea; behind, Mary is supported by John the Baptist, Mary Magdalene, 2 other women and 2 angels, while in front are 3 local citizens. The life-sized ensemble, drenched in a strange light from the modern stained-glass windows, is really touching.
You can climb to the top of the tower (73 m , one step for every day of the year) to admire the whole city. The cathedral is open Mon – Sat 7:30 – 19:00, Sun 8:30 – 21:30.
More Reviews (6)
Tolik's Related Pages
Fribourg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Walking the Old City..."
- "an interesting town south-west of Bern"
- "Fribourg - a hidden treasure"
- "The Studious City"
- "Fribourg welcomes you!"
- "From Bern to Fribourg"
- ""Greggi di aquile" nel cielo di Friburgo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fribourg
- Hotels in Fribourg
- Transportation in Fribourg
- Nightlife in Fribourg
- Restaurants in Fribourg
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Fribourg
- 7 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Fribourg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fribourg
Photos in FribourgSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Kharkiv Intro, 39 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florida Intro, 32 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 23 reviews, 46 photos, 6 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Salzburg Intro, 18 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Badgastein Intro, 20 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Austria Intro, 19 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Edmonton Intro, 18 reviews, 39 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lausanne Intro, 17 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Switzerland Intro, 10 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues