"Yverdon-les-Bains" Yverdon by Tolik
Yverdon Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 26 photos
Yverdon is suffixed “-les-Bains” for its spa waters, 14,000-year-old mineral springs bubbling up from 600m below ground, rich with all kinds of curative properties and celebrated at least since Roman times. But there several other things that made the town famous – the Menhirs, the castle, and the Maison d’Ailleurs to name a few.
Yverdon – known as Eburodunum (the Fortress of the Yew Tree) in Gallo-Roman times – lies on one of Europe’s most significant ancient crossroads. In a wood near the Yverdon’s suburb of Clendy there are 47 standing stones, or Menhirs, dating back 4000 BC. Unlike the Stonehenge area, access to the Menhirs in Yverdon is free and unlimited. Later came the Romans but off its Roman history Yverdon has kept only the remains of the Castrum (fortified citadel built in 370AD) located near the local graveyard. The town was founded one more time in 1260 when Pierre of Savoy, who worked on the Château de Chillon, built a castle here. Next to the solid castle, you will find a pleasant and compact Old Town with many baroque and neoclassical facades. North of the chateau a visitor will see Maison d’Ailleurs - museum of science-fiction housed in the old prison – good place for a museum, isn’t it?
Yverdon-les-Bains is also handy as a jumping-off point for the amazing old castle at nearby Grandson, and for trips to Ste-Croix, Neuchâtel and Estavayer-le-Lac.
The first temple was built on the site in 1218, only the bell-tower remains from it (containing in its low part the... more travel advice
Opposite the chateau is the Maison d’Ailleurs (“House of Elsewhere”; Wed–Sun 2–6pm; .7 CHF; students 6 CHF;... more travel advice
Tolik's Related Pages
Yverdon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bienvenue à Yverdon"
- "Yveron's Mystery"
- "Student trip to Eurobot"
- "An Exhibition of Unspeakable Things"
- "Yverdon Les Bains"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Yverdon
- 6 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Yverdon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yverdon
Photos in YverdonSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Kharkiv Intro, 39 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florida Intro, 32 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 23 reviews, 46 photos, 6 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Salzburg Intro, 18 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Badgastein Intro, 20 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Austria Intro, 19 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Edmonton Intro, 18 reviews, 39 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lausanne Intro, 17 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Switzerland Intro, 10 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues