"Lymington and the New Forest" Lymington by Tolik

Lymington Travel Guide: 60 reviews and 67 photos

We spent a week in Lymington, a lovely yachting and sailing town at the mouth of the Lymington River (South England). North of Lymington begins the New Forest covering significant part of Hampshire.

Lymington is an ancient town, it's origins go back to the Iron Age. It was known to the Romans who landed here in 45 AD. Its name comes from the River Lym 'ing' and 'ton' mean settlements or town. The town was mentioned in the Doomsday Book as Lentune in 1086 but at Buckland Rings, just North of the town center, is the remains of a hill fort dating back to between 500 and 100 BC. The town's first chapter was granted around 1200. Lymington grew as a trading post and in 1346 supplied nine ships for an expedition against France. It was sacked and burned by the French three times between the 14th and 16th centuries.

The town became a Parliamentary Borough in 1584. Lymington was on the side of Parliament against Charles I during the Civil War 160 - 1649 and later in 1685 the town proclaimed the Duce of Monmouth "King" in the great rebellion against James II.
Lymington's main industry, up to the 19th century, was salt workings which stretched from Lymington bridge to Hurst.

The modern yacht building industry began in 1820's and the railway came to Lymington in 1858 with a ferry crossing to the Isle of Wight.

• Last visit to Lymington: May 2002
  • Intro Written Sep 8, 2002

• MURRA's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2004 at 8:14 AM

good local info on elmers court

• Jul 23, 2004 at 4:56 AM

Lots of info here! I recommended for people to check your page out from my Lymington page - hope thats ok!

• CdnJane's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2004 at 6:10 AM

You certainly provide lots of detailed information about the places you've visited. I remember Lymington on my short visit there, but not all that information. Thanks for visiting my Blue Mtn page.

• Jan 15, 2004 at 9:59 AM

Child at Elmer's Court. 62 - 65. Anyone there?. Now in Australia. Past pupils? We were all delicate children. Elm Crt , a significant part of my life. Mr Judd was the Principal at the time. Anyone, anywhere, please contact : letchdave@yahoo.com.au cheers

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2003 at 6:15 AM

Lymington looks like a nice place to visit. I'd love to hike through the forests there.

• Jun 13, 2003 at 4:23 PM

The Elmers Country Club looks fantastic!

• Mar 25, 2003 at 7:20 PM

I would like to visit Lymington one day

• colin_bramso's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2003 at 9:54 PM

The New Forest is my most favourite place, and I love Lymington too.

• Nov 18, 2002 at 6:50 PM

Nice page!

• Sep 12, 2002 at 5:30 PM

Lovely town!

Tolik

“Travels make one wiser”

Badges & Stats in Lymington

Have you been to Lymington?

Latest Activity in Lymington