"Lymington and the New Forest" Lymington by Tolik
Lymington Travel Guide: 60 reviews and 67 photos
We spent a week in Lymington, a lovely yachting and sailing town at the mouth of the Lymington River (South England). North of Lymington begins the New Forest covering significant part of Hampshire.
Lymington is an ancient town, it's origins go back to the Iron Age. It was known to the Romans who landed here in 45 AD. Its name comes from the River Lym 'ing' and 'ton' mean settlements or town. The town was mentioned in the Doomsday Book as Lentune in 1086 but at Buckland Rings, just North of the town center, is the remains of a hill fort dating back to between 500 and 100 BC. The town's first chapter was granted around 1200. Lymington grew as a trading post and in 1346 supplied nine ships for an expedition against France. It was sacked and burned by the French three times between the 14th and 16th centuries.
The town became a Parliamentary Borough in 1584. Lymington was on the side of Parliament against Charles I during the Civil War 160 - 1649 and later in 1685 the town proclaimed the Duce of Monmouth "King" in the great rebellion against James II.
Lymington's main industry, up to the 19th century, was salt workings which stretched from Lymington bridge to Hurst.
The modern yacht building industry began in 1820's and the railway came to Lymington in 1858 with a ferry crossing to the Isle of Wight.
Visit St. Barbe Museum and Art Gallery. The area has seen a thriving salt industry, smugglers landing their illegal... more travel advice
Hurst Castle is situated at the seaward end of the shingle spit which extends 1½ miles from Milford-on-Sea. The end of... more travel advice
Tolik's Related Pages
Lymington Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sunsets over the New Forest"
- "Between the forest & the sea."
- "A Too, Too Short Evening Visit...."
- "Lymington and the New Forest"
- "Boldre near Lymington - History and Beauty"
- "Lagos Marina, Algarve"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lymington
- Hotels in Lymington
- Transportation in Lymington
- Nightlife in Lymington
- Restaurants in Lymington
- Shopping in Lymington
- Warnings and Dangers in Lymington
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lymington
- 11 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Lymington?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lymington
Top 10 Pages
- Kharkiv Intro, 39 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florida Intro, 32 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 23 reviews, 46 photos, 6 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Salzburg Intro, 18 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Badgastein Intro, 20 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Austria Intro, 19 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Edmonton Intro, 18 reviews, 39 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lausanne Intro, 17 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Switzerland Intro, 10 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues