"The Caves Without Dragons" Porto Cristo by Tolik
Porto Cristo Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 54 photos
Porto Cristo, lovely Mallorcan seaside resort, is popular due to its caves. The Dragon Cave, most famous of them, is on the southern end of the town.
According to local legend, Porto Cristo got its name when two oxen were pulling a wagon to Palma de Mallorca loaded with an icon of Christ, stopped here and refused to move any further. So the holy image stayed in Manacor, and Porto de Manacor (which is a part of the township of Manacor and often still called by its original name) was re-baptized Porto Cristo in memory of the event.
Porto Cristo used to be a typical Spanish fishing village, perfect when you want to get away from it all. In 1887 first fisherman built his home here, and in the following years many others followed his steps. But it was not until the early 1970’s when the tourist boom made of this small village a resort town. Today it is a quiet resort, very popular with British and German visitors during high season (May – September). Porto Cristo is especially famous for its caves, the most popular of which are the "Coves dels Hams" and the "Coves del Drac". In Porto Cristo, Oficia di Informacio Turistica is at calle Bordis 53-b (Mon – Fri, 8 – 15);
First primitive harbor premises were complete in 1888. Prior th that, the coastal ships moored at the entrance of the... more travel advice
In the 1st century AD the Romans built a port in the area (you can visit the site of a Roman port behind the harbor, a... more travel advice
Tolik's Related Pages
Porto Cristo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pretty and mid-way between vile..."
- "The Caves Without Dragons"
- "Porto Cristo"
- "Caves of Drach"
- "From beach to cave"
- "Amanzing caves"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Porto Cristo
- Hotels in Porto Cristo
- Transportation in Porto Cristo
- Restaurants in Porto Cristo
- Shopping in Porto Cristo
- Warnings and Dangers in Porto Cristo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Porto Cristo
- 9 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Porto Cristo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Porto Cristo
Top 10 Pages
- Kharkiv Intro, 39 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florida Intro, 32 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 23 reviews, 46 photos, 6 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Salzburg Intro, 18 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Badgastein Intro, 20 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Austria Intro, 19 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Edmonton Intro, 18 reviews, 39 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lausanne Intro, 17 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Switzerland Intro, 10 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues