"Magic of Maratea" Maratea by Tolik
Maratea Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 48 photos
Maratea is the most renowned tourist center in the Basilicata region. As beautiful as the Amalfi coast a hundred miles to the north, lovely Maratea lies three hours south of Naples on the Gulf of Policastro, between Campania on the north and Calabria to the south. The scenery is picturesque, with the sea and backdrop of the mountains.
Maratea offers amazingly well preserved historic center, beautiful beaches, footpaths for excursions and excellent resort on the slope of the San Biagio Mountain. The colorful Festival of San Biagio draws crowds of locals and tourists alike in mid-May.
Thirty years ago few foreigners have even heard of Maratea, which Italians have long prized as a better, less crowded alternative to the Amalfi Coast. It is not the case today. Staying at the Pianeta Marate resort, we even met fellow Edmontonians here (Edmonton is the capital of Alberta, Western Canada province). If you are looking for a relaxing vacation where you can enjoy the pleasures of fine dining, strolling, beautiful scenery, Maratea is for you.
Five things to do in Maratea:
1. Ascend the San Biagio mountain. The views that unfolded are spectacular.
2. Explore the caves on the mountain slope.
3. Walk into the streets of Maratea’s Centro Storico to find shops and restaurants to suit all tastes and pockets.
4. Visit the St Mary Chapel just below the Pianeta Maratea resort.
5. Make a daytrip to visit the Naples area (the Vesuvius Mountain, and Herculaneum or Pompeii).
This colorful restaurant locate on the Piazza Vitolo across from the Town Hall. From our table we could see the... more travel advice
Below the Pianeta Marate resort , a sparkling, clear sea gently laps the pebble beaches (3km). Two free shuttle buses... more travel advice
Tolik's Related Pages
Maratea Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Magic of Maratea"
- "Far less crowded than the Amalfi Coast"
- "Wonderful Maratea"
- "Counting down"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Maratea
- Hotels in Maratea
- Nightlife in Maratea
- Restaurants in Maratea
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Maratea
- 7 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Maratea?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Maratea
Photos in MarateaSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Kharkiv Intro, 39 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florida Intro, 32 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 23 reviews, 46 photos, 6 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Salzburg Intro, 18 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Badgastein Intro, 20 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Austria Intro, 19 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Edmonton Intro, 18 reviews, 39 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lausanne Intro, 17 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Switzerland Intro, 10 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues