"Bad Gastein and the Gasteiner Tal ( Gastein Valley" Austria by Tolik
Austria Travel Guide: 18,797 reviews and 50,627 photos
Land Salzburg is a traveler’s paradise. The highest mountain range in Austria, the Hohe Tauern, lies on the southern fringe of Land Salzburg. The Hohe Tauern national park, the biggest national park in Western Europe, encompasses one of the most beautiful areas of the eastern Alps. Very popular with tourists, the Gasteiner Tal (Gastein Valley) has a length of 37 kilometers (25 mi.) and is the longest of the Salzach River valleys. For many centuries the Gastein Valley has been known for its hot springs, but since World War II it has also become a winter sports center. Valley is separated from the main Salzach Valley by a gorge. The hard gorge limestone results in a drop of 150 meters at Klammstein. Famous karstic cavern with stalactites and stalagmites is nearby (40 min. walk).
The Gastein Valley broadens beyond this gorge. The way leads past the communities of Dorfgastein and Bad Hofgastein to Bad Gastein, the world famous spa resort in the heart of the Hohe Tauern.
ENTERTAINMENT AND FESTIVALES The usual festivities throughout the year, such as the Kirchweih (church fair) or... more travel advice
The largest of the ski areas begins on the Stubnerkogel mountain above Bad Gastein and is more-or-less lift-linked, via... more travel advice
Tolik's Related Pages
Austria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Austria - Where to go and what to do !"
- "Classy Austria"
- "Paul2001's Austria Page"
- "4 Visits and 1 conclusion... Stunning!!"
- "VT meeting in Pisa"
- "Country of mountains, country of streams..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Austria
- Hotels in Austria
- Transportation in Austria
- Nightlife in Austria
- Restaurants in Austria
- Shopping in Austria
- Warnings and Dangers in Austria
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Austria
- 73 Reviews
- 151 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Austria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Austria
- Posted in Travel Juan-les-Pins Forum "RE: Juan les pins"
- Wrote a Review ENTERTAINMENT AND FESTIVALES... in Austria Things to Do
- Commented on one of sandravdp's Austria travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "At the head of the valley, on..."
- created a Austria Travel Page "Bad Gastein and the Gasteiner Tal ( Gastein Valley"
Top 10 Pages
- Kharkiv Intro, 39 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florida Intro, 32 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 23 reviews, 46 photos, 6 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Salzburg Intro, 18 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Badgastein Intro, 20 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Austria Intro, 19 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Edmonton Intro, 18 reviews, 39 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lausanne Intro, 17 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Switzerland Intro, 10 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (11)
Top Austria hotels
- Vienna Hotels
- 7360 Reviews - 18232 Photos
- Salzburg Hotels
- 2579 Reviews - 5926 Photos
- Innsbruck Hotels
- 1140 Reviews - 2562 Photos
- Zell am See Hotels
- 112 Reviews - 442 Photos
- Hintersteiner See Hotels
- 22 Reviews - 24 Photos
- Linz Hotels
- 142 Reviews - 452 Photos
- Kitzbühel Hotels
- 63 Reviews - 225 Photos
- Baden Hotels
- 105 Reviews - 214 Photos
- Seefeld Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 9 Photos
- Sankt Wolfgang im Salzkammergut Hotels
- 140 Reviews - 326 Photos
- Hallstatt Hotels
- 213 Reviews - 680 Photos
- Graz Hotels
- 562 Reviews - 1463 Photos
- Gmunden Hotels
- 45 Reviews - 113 Photos
- Söll Hotels
- 36 Reviews - 72 Photos
- Kufstein Hotels
- 30 Reviews - 77 Photos