"Isle of Wight Magic" Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Wight by Tolik
Isle of Wight Travel Guide: 307 reviews and 612 photos
The Isle of Wight is one of few habitable islands in England and is an ideal location for a holiday, short break or day out. Situated just off England's South Coast, the Island holds a unique coastal location, but is within only 30 minutes of the UK mainland from Portsmouth.
The Isle of Wight resembles a diamond shape, with Newport, the county capital, at its center. The largest town, Cowes, plays host to the world's largest and most prestigious yachting event each year. Each August, the World's eyes turn on this small and beautiful area of the UK.
This island has a magic all of its own - and is one of the UK's sunniest and warmest places. The Isle of Wight is approximately 23 miles East to West, and 13 miles North to South, being about 150 square miles in area. The Island and its countryside can be comfortably covered by car, bus or cycle within two days but we were lucky to stay here for a week. The Island has many areas of outstanding natural beauty – rolling countryside, forests, farms, picturesque villages and seaside resorts. As you would expect of any holiday area, the Island has a wealth of natural and man-made attractions, as well as superb coastline and countryside. With over 500 miles of roads and footpaths, all these are easily accessible and can be enjoyed throughout the year.
The Island's geographic profile has been formed over many thousands of years, by the water of the English Channel. From the rocky cliffs of The Needles on the West Coast, over to the sandy beaches of Sandown and Shanklin on the East, no other UK holiday resort offers so much to the national or international visitor.
Over 1.8 million people visit the Island each year - about one third of these are day trippers, with the remainder staying 2 days or more. Ventnor, on the South Coast, in particular, enjoys an almost sub-tropical climate, and the main holiday resorts of Shanklin and Sandown regularly top the UK sunshine charts. Whether you want to stay in hotel luxury, or pitch your tent, there is a wide variety of accommodations available, close to all the action.
This is one of the most popular family destinations. The park set in an area of outstanding natural beauty. There is no... more travel advice
We really enjoyed visiting Osborne House. It's been the country retreat of Queen Victoria for over fifty years until her... more travel advice
Tolik's Related Pages
Isle of Wight Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My childhood years on the Island"
- "Island of Vectis Very Near To Britannia"
- "ISLE OF WIGHT - THE DIAMOND ISLE"
- "Isle of Wight Magic"
- "Isle of Wight - a history"
- "Nostalgia trip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isle of Wight
- Hotels in Isle of Wight
- Transportation in Isle of Wight
- Nightlife in Isle of Wight
- Restaurants in Isle of Wight
- Shopping in Isle of Wight
- Warnings and Dangers in Isle of Wight
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isle of Wight
- 14 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Isle of Wight?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isle of Wight
Top 10 Pages
- Kharkiv Intro, 39 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Florida Intro, 32 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 23 reviews, 46 photos, 6 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 15 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Salzburg Intro, 18 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Badgastein Intro, 20 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Austria Intro, 19 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
- Edmonton Intro, 18 reviews, 39 photos, 5 travelogues
- Lausanne Intro, 17 reviews, 29 photos, 2 travelogues
- Switzerland Intro, 10 reviews, 34 photos, 3 travelogues