"Budapest" Budapest by Fen
Budapest Travel Guide: 7,630 reviews and 17,580 photos
A symbol of Budapest and the first bridge over the Danube, crossing was built between 1839 and 1849 on the initiative of Count Istvan Szechenyi. It was designed by an Englishmen, William Tierney Clark and built by his namesake Adam Clark.
During the country's War of Independence, the first carriage to cross the the bridge (at a time when it was still under construction) carried the Hungarian crown from Buda, which was then under siege, to Debrecen.
Later Austrian troops decided to blow the bridge up - but the ever resourceful Adam Clark frustrated their attempt by flooding the explosive-packed chambers with water. However, the Szechenyi Chain Bridge was eventually blown up during World War II. It re-opened again on 20 November 1949, exactly 100 years after its original inauguration.
This is a massive shopping center inside which also includes a cinema on the top floor. more travel advice
Fen's Related Pages
Budapest Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Budapest - My dear hometown! :)"
- "Budapest, the "Phoenix bird", my lovely home city"
- "A fantastic town along the Danube River"
- "A New Year, A New City"
- "SUCH A GORGEOUS CITY"
- "I could get used to this!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Budapest
- Hotels in Budapest
- Transportation in Budapest
- Nightlife in Budapest
- Restaurants in Budapest
- Shopping in Budapest
- Warnings and Dangers in Budapest
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Budapest
- 18 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Budapest?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Budapest
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 79 reviews, 177 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Novi Sad Intro, 47 reviews, 85 photos, 4 travelogues
- Brugge Intro, 29 reviews, 69 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chisinau Intro, 38 reviews, 60 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Region Intro, 37 reviews, 49 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omsk Intro, 18 reviews, 68 photos, 3 travelogues
- Munich Intro, 26 reviews, 59 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kingston upon Thames Intro, 38 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Barbados Intro, 18 reviews, 53 photos, 4 travelogues
- Belgrade Intro, 22 reviews, 49 photos, 3 travelogues