"LETUVA" Lithuania by ronaldpk
Lithuania Travel Guide: 5,205 reviews and 11,737 photos
O Lithuania, my country, thou art like good health;
I never knew till now how precious, till I lost thee
Trees of my fatherland! If heaven will
Shall I return and find you still?
My friends of old, are you alive today?
Among whom as a child I used to play;
And is the great Baublis living found
By ages hollowed out, in whose great round
A dozen folk could sup in a room?
(Excerpt from "Pan Tadeusz" by Adam Mickiewicz, translated by Kenneth R
Since I was a child, it was my dream to visit Lithuania for many reasons. The major was my Lithuanian nanny Maria Goras who took care of me in Harrison, New Jersey. Her brother Vladislas, who was a priest, died a week after my birth.
For some strange reason, she believed that I was a reincarnation of him so I grew up believing in my past life of a Lithuanian priest. This childhood experience has created in me an extraordinary emotional attachment to that land of forests, lakes and fairy-tales. After I moved to Poland from the U.S. , I resisted my Polish background and I always retorted to my Polish interlocutors that I was Lithuanian and not Polish. Anyway, on my father`s side, our family is originally from Suvalkai region from where they were chased by the Napoleon army in 1812 into a small shtetl on the Prussian border. My father`s sister married a Lithuanian man in the U.S. as if there was some ancient link that bound us to that Baltic culture.
My recent trip to Lithuania convinced me that I must have some Lithuanian blood in my heritage as everybody took me for a Lithuanian and I also saw an old Lithuanian map showing Suvalkai (today`s Suwalki in Poland) as a part of Great Lithuanian Duchy.
ronaldpk's Related Pages
Lithuania Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Republic of Lithuania"
- "Country of diversities - Lithuania"
- "The HEART of Europe "Lithuania""
- "Lithuania - Little Amber in My Hand"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lithuania
- Hotels in Lithuania
- Transportation in Lithuania
- Nightlife in Lithuania
- Restaurants in Lithuania
- Shopping in Lithuania
- Warnings and Dangers in Lithuania
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lithuania
- 8 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 33 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Lithuania?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lithuania
Top 10 Pages
- Barcelona Intro, 13 reviews, 32 photos
- Granada Intro, 4 reviews, 37 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mexico City Intro, 7 reviews, 28 photos, 2 travelogues
- Province de Tanger Intro, 5 reviews, 22 photos
- Vilnius Intro, 5 reviews, 21 photos, 1 travelogue
- South Africa Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos
- Sevilla Intro, 4 reviews, 17 photos
- Cadiz Intro, 4 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Teotihuacán Intro, 2 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Trakai 2 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue