"Kootenay Lake & Kootenay Country" Kootenay Lake by sunnywong
Kootenay Lake Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 48 photos
Hwy #3A north of Creston is a spectacular lakeside drive. With mountains rising from both shores, the lake is wide and deep. At Boswell, check out the Glass House, made entirely from empty embalming fluid bottles. The world's longest free ferry ride is at Kootenay Bay. Peak summer traffic sometimes means a wait, but the 45-minute voyage is worth it. From Balfour, it is a pretty 30-minute drive to Nelson, passing the salmon spawning channel at Kokanee Creek and the road to magnificent Kokanee Glacier Provincial Park.
A faster and very dramatic alternative route from Creston to Nelson is Hwy #3 to Salmo over BC's highest mountain pass, the Kootenay Pass, and then north on Hwy #6.
Nelson's Victorian character is etched on every brick and stone of Baker Street's original frontier architecture. Immerse yourself in the finest small art town in Canada. Explore the galleries and craft shops, visit the museum or ride Streetcar #23. Nelson is also an excellent home base from which to access the West Kootenay Discovery Loop and the Silvery Slocan Heritage Tour.
CPR 6947 steam locomotive is on static display along the town road. more travel advice
sunnywong's Related Pages
Kootenay Lake Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kootenay Lake & Kootenay Country"
- "Kootenay Lake"
- "Gem of the Kootenays"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Kootenay Lake
- 17 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Kootenay Lake?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kootenay Lake
Photos in Kootenay LakeSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Hong Kong Intro, 66 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- Angkor Wat Intro, 86 reviews, 102 photos, 5 travelogues
- Banff National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 94 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 69 reviews, 82 photos, 3 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 53 reviews, 91 photos, 4 travelogues
- Phnom Penh Intro, 55 reviews, 64 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 56 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 31 reviews, 83 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 34 reviews, 77 photos, 3 travelogues
- Penang Intro, 20 reviews, 89 photos, 3 travelogues