"Kootenay National Park of Canada" Kootenay National Park by sunnywong
Kootenay National Park Travel Guide: 65 reviews and 81 photos
How to get there
Kootenay National Park lies 888 km east of Vancouver and 170 km west of Calgary. It can be reached from the north at two access points on the Trans-Canada Highway: Castle Junction in Banff National Park (via Highway 93 South - the Kootenay Parkway) or Golden (via Highway 95); or from the south via Highway 93/95. The closest full service towns are Radium Hot Springs, just outside the park's West Gate, and Banff, 33 km east of the park's north entrance.
About the Park
Kootenay National Park protects 1,406 sq. km. of Rocky Mountain wilderness in the southeastern corner of British Columbia. Along with Yoho, Banff and Jasper National Parks, and Mt. Robson, Mt. Assiniboine and Hamber Provincial Parks, Kootenay forms part of UNESCO's Rocky Mountain Parks World Heritage Site, one of the world's largest protected wilderness areas.
The soothing waters of Radium Hot Springs, in a spectacular canyon setting, have long been a natural draw - from the first pool scooped out of the gravel by Aboriginal people to today's extensively developed pools facility. The hot springs, and their associated features of Sinclair Canyon and the Redwall Fault, are significant geological features. The Redwall Fault - visible as towering cliffs of iron-rich rock - is the best example of fault breccia (shattered and reconsolidated rock) in the Rocky Mountain parks.
Marble Canyon is an excellent example of a landscape feature resulting from the powerful erosive forces of moving glaciers and rivers in a dynamic mountain environment. The rock that forms the canyon is limestone and dolomite, some of which is white in colour, resembling Marble.
<a href="http://www.worldweb.com/ParksCanada-Kootenay/index.html"><b><font face="Arial"><span style="font-size:14">Link to Official Website of Kootenay National Park </b>
Just south of Marble Canyon a trail leads 1.5 kilometres from the highway to a series of bubbling pools, stained red and... more travel advice
sunnywong's Related Pages
Kootenay National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Minute and the Majestic"
- "THE BEAUTIFUL KOOTENAYS"
- "Kootenay National Park of Canada"
- "Canyons and Hot Springs"
- "Kootenay National Park"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kootenay National Park
- 7 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Kootenay National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kootenay National Park
Photos in Kootenay National ParkSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Hong Kong Intro, 66 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- Angkor Wat Intro, 86 reviews, 102 photos, 5 travelogues
- Banff National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 94 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 69 reviews, 82 photos, 3 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 53 reviews, 91 photos, 4 travelogues
- Phnom Penh Intro, 55 reviews, 64 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 56 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 31 reviews, 83 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 34 reviews, 77 photos, 3 travelogues
- Penang Intro, 20 reviews, 89 photos, 3 travelogues