"Troutdale" Troutdale by sunnywong
Troutdale Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 48 photos
Using Troutdale as the ideal starting point for your Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area experience, take Exit 17 off I-84 and follow the signs to the Historic Columbia River Highway (SR30).
The Historic Columbia River Highway is America's premiere Historic and Scenic Highway. Built between 1913 and 1922, along the steep cliffs of the magnificent Columbia River Gorge, this narrow, curving roadway was a technological tour-de-force when it was constructed. When the Interstate Highway system was being constructed in the 1950s, many portions of the old highway were demolished, abandoned, or bypassed.
The most scenic section of the Columbia River Gorge lies on the forty-three miles between Troutdale and The Dalles. Mileposts begin with zero at Portland, and exit numbers on Interstate 84 roughly correspond to the number of miles from Portland.
To get to the Historic Columbia River Highway if you're coming from the West, you can exit at Troutdale (Exit17), Lewis and Clark State Park (Exit 18), Corbett (Exit 22), Bridal Veil (Exit 28) or Dodson (Exit 35).
A good place to start the tour is the town of Troutdale, 20 minutes east of Portland. Signs from Interstate 84 direct you to Exit 17, Historic Columbia River Highway and the town of Troutdale. Exit and follow signs through town past the Harlow House Museum and continue over the Troutdale Bridge. Take a right onto Highway 30 (the Historic Columbia River Highway).
The waterfalls plunge in a shape that seems to ideally suit their names - they look just like horse tails! Horsetail... more travel advice
With 620-feet in height, this double tiered waterfall is the fourth highest in the United States. From the information... more travel advice
sunnywong's Related Pages
Troutdale Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oregon Gateway to Gorge and Local Shopping"
- "Troutdale, Oregon"
- "The Start of the Columbia River Gorge Scenic Hwy"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Troutdale
- Transportation in Troutdale
- Restaurants in Troutdale
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Troutdale
- 8 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Troutdale?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Troutdale
Photos in TroutdaleSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Hong Kong Intro, 66 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- Angkor Wat Intro, 86 reviews, 102 photos, 5 travelogues
- Banff National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 94 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 69 reviews, 82 photos, 3 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 53 reviews, 91 photos, 4 travelogues
- Phnom Penh Intro, 55 reviews, 64 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 56 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 31 reviews, 83 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 34 reviews, 77 photos, 3 travelogues
- Penang Intro, 20 reviews, 89 photos, 3 travelogues