"THE FOUNDING OF NEW PHILADELPHIA, OHIO" New Philadelphia by sunnywong
New Philadelphia Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 14 photos
New Philadelphia was founded in 1804 by John Knisely. John Knisely was very optimistic, and seemed to feel that New Philadelphia would one day become a great city. He employed a surveyor, John Wells, and had him lay out the entire town on a checkerboard plan, similar to the city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In fact, many of the streets were named after the streets of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He had three public squares laid out. The present public square, a smaller square, or upper market square, called Franklin Square, which is the present junction of West High Avenue and Fourth Street. A lower market square called Washington Square, still exists at the junction of East High and Beaver Avenues.
John Knisely died on December 15, 1834 at the age of 84 years. His burial plot is located in the East Fair Street Cemetery, another of his donations to the city of New Philadelphia, where his tombstone states simply, what he undoubtedly would consider the greatest honor, "JOHN KNISELY, Founder of New Philadelphia".
The above information was gathered from the Tuscarawas County Convention and Visitors Bureau.
Buffet seven days a week. Hours: (closed Tuesday) Mon.Thurs. 11am-9:30pm, Fri.-Sat. 11am-10:30pm, Sun. 11am-8pm.... more travel advice
New Philadelphia is served by nearest major airport: Akron, OH (CAK-Akron-Canton Regional Airport) lies 45 minutes North... more travel advice
sunnywong's Related Pages
New Philadelphia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE FOUNDING OF NEW PHILADELPHIA, OHIO"
- "New Philadelphia, Ohio"
- "A small town with lots to offer!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Philadelphia
- Hotels in New Philadelphia
- Transportation in New Philadelphia
- Restaurants in New Philadelphia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New Philadelphia
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to New Philadelphia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Philadelphia
Photos in New PhiladelphiaSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Hong Kong Intro, 66 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- Angkor Wat Intro, 86 reviews, 102 photos, 5 travelogues
- Banff National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 94 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 69 reviews, 82 photos, 3 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 53 reviews, 91 photos, 4 travelogues
- Phnom Penh Intro, 55 reviews, 64 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 56 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 31 reviews, 83 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 34 reviews, 77 photos, 3 travelogues
- Penang Intro, 20 reviews, 89 photos, 3 travelogues