"sunnywong's Hong Kong Page" Hong Kong by sunnywong
Hong Kong Travel Guide: 8,575 reviews and 20,926 photos
Hong Kong's acting Cheif Executive Donald Tsang replaces Tung Chee-hwa as Hong Kong's second leader since the former British colony returned to Chinese rule eight years ago. (AP Photo/Vincent Yu)
Tsang replaced the unpopular Tung Chee-hwa, who had led Hong Kong since it returned to Chinese rule in 1997. Tung quit , citing failing health, but many believe Beijing's communist leaders fired him because they wanted to install someone more to their liking.
But after it became clear that Tung was leaving early, officials and legal experts in China began saying that Tung's elected successor would only finish Tung's term -- about two years -- and another election would be held in 2007 as originally scheduled.
Hong Kong is a vibrant, noisy, cosmopolitan city blend of east and west. 150 years of British rule stamped the territory with the trappings of a British city. With 95 percent of its population ethnically Chinese, Hong Kong also has an undeniably Chinese heart. Hong Kong has been a Special Administrative Region (SAR) of China since the handover in 1997. Geographically, Hong Kong encompasses Hong Kong Island, the Kowloon Peninsula, the New Territories and more than 260 outlying islands.
Hong Kong Island
Hong Kong Island boasts superb modern architecture which house some of the world's most powerful financial institutions and towering glass residential buildings. The Peak offers breathtakingly beautiful views of Hong Kong Island and Kowloon across Victoria Harbor, and is especially stunning at night. Central, the financial center and social hub of Hong Kong Island is where some of the territories' best international restaurants and premier nightspots are located. The southside of the island including Stanley, Deep Water Bay and Repulse Bay has nice beaches where you can enjoy different watersports as well as outdoor restaurants and markets.
The Kowloon peninsula, in particular its southernmost tip, Tsim Sha Tsui (TST), is home to more shops selling a greater variety of goods per square meter than anywhere else in the world. It boasts a plethora of budget accommodations as well as the five star Peninsula and Regent hotels.
North of the Kowloon peninsula, the New Territories connects Hong Kong to the mainland. It is home to the New Towns, the first of which was built in the 1960s, ancient villages, sprawling subtropical country parks and secluded beaches.
Visitors should also try to visit one of the outlying islands, most notably Lantau and Lamma. These islands are home to superb seafood restaurants, white sand beaches, secluded hiking trails and sleepy fishing villages. Lantau also has the new airport at Chek Lap Kok and the Giant Buddha, which at 26 meters (85ft) high, is the world's largest seated outdoor bronze Buddha.
ride the world's longest covered outdoor escalator system which snakes through the back streets of Central. Twenty... more travel advice
The world's largest seated, outdoor, bronze Buddha sits atop Ngong Ping plateau amid the spectacular mountain of Lantau... more travel advice
- See All Hong Kong Inner Harbour
- Lan Kwai Fong & SoHo
- See All Victoria Harbour Boat Tour
- See All B-B-Q meat Shop
sunnywong's Related Pages
Hong Kong Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Jewels of Hong Kong"
- "Welcome to my favourite city in the world"
- "Hong Kong: City of Life with Endless Motions!"
- "Keeweechic's Hong Kong SAR"
- "Hong Kong"
- "Hong Kong"
- "Hong Kong"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hong Kong
- Hotels in Hong Kong
- Transportation in Hong Kong
- Nightlife in Hong Kong
- Restaurants in Hong Kong
- Shopping in Hong Kong
- Warnings and Dangers in Hong Kong
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hong Kong
- 81 Reviews
- 179 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Hong Kong?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hong Kong
- updated a Hong Kong Travel Page "sunnywong's Hong Kong Page"
- Uploaded a Photo to "sunnywong's Hong Kong Page"
- Wrote a Review Mid-Levels Escalator at Hong Kong Central about Central District in Hong Kong Off The Beaten Path
- Posted in Travel Vancouver Forum "Re: Salmon leap over waterfalls"
- Commented on one of margaretvn's Hong Kong travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Hong Kong Intro, 66 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- Angkor Wat Intro, 86 reviews, 102 photos, 5 travelogues
- Banff National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 94 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 69 reviews, 82 photos, 3 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 53 reviews, 91 photos, 4 travelogues
- Phnom Penh Intro, 55 reviews, 64 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 56 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 31 reviews, 83 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 34 reviews, 77 photos, 3 travelogues
- Penang Intro, 20 reviews, 89 photos, 3 travelogues