"Tai O fishing village" Tai O by sunnywong
Tai O Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 55 photos
Tai O also known as the “Oriental Venice” is a unique and the only infect fishing village remains in Hong Kong. It is inhabited mainly by the Tanka people, descendants of Hong Kong’s first settlers. As far back as the Sung Dynasty (almost one thousand years ago), the salt production was well scaled in here. Its fish farming industry made the place become the main spot of sea fish supply in Hong Kong. And in the past hundreds of years, it was the most prosperous port along the Pear River. The Fan Kwai Tong Tsuen in Tai O was the first place the Spanish people arrived when they came
to China, in where those foreigners got water and repaired their ships. In the late Sung Dynasty, its official Wen Tianxiang once wrote down his last poet here before he died. Up till now, the ambience of the “traditional fishing village”, special architectures of stilt houses, living environment surrounded by river, cultural and historical monuments and the rich source of natural heritage, are still the great attractions of the place. Lying off the southwest coast of Lantau, Tai O has become a fantastic spot for eco tourism and hiking as well. The coastal area of the village is fit for the development of the mangroves zone, with egrets flying in the sky. Travelers can also see the Hong Kong’s endangered pink dolphins frolicking in their natural habitat off Lantau Island.
Tai O also offers travelers historical temples and antiquity monasteries, each providing a unique glimpse of the history and times of the place to enjoy the natural environment, while the beautiful sunset scenery is especially romance for couples.
My online album of Tai O
Tai O Travel Guide
Built on stilts in a narrow creek channel, these house are the most distinctive characteristic of Tai O. They are... more travel advice
This is a simple temple for workship of the Sea God, and features a bell cast in the first year of Emperor Qian Long... more travel advice
sunnywong's Related Pages
Tai O Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tai O oozes with Rustic Charm"
- "Rustic Fishing Village in the Modern HK"
- "The village on stilts"
- "Tai O"
- "Tai O fishing village"
- "A village on stilts"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tai O
- Transportation in Tai O
- Restaurants in Tai O
- Warnings and Dangers in Tai O
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Tai O
- 5 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Tai O?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tai O
Photos in Tai OSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Hong Kong Intro, 66 reviews, 129 photos, 5 travelogues
- Angkor Wat Intro, 86 reviews, 102 photos, 5 travelogues
- Banff National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 94 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vancouver Intro, 69 reviews, 82 photos, 3 travelogues
- Beijing Intro, 53 reviews, 91 photos, 4 travelogues
- Phnom Penh Intro, 55 reviews, 64 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yellowstone National Park Intro, 56 reviews, 63 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bangkok Intro, 31 reviews, 83 photos, 3 travelogues
- Yosemite National Park Intro, 34 reviews, 77 photos, 3 travelogues
- Penang Intro, 20 reviews, 89 photos, 3 travelogues