"The Last Divided City on Earth" Top 5 Page for this destination Nicosia by Profsmiley

Nicosia Travel Guide: 290 reviews and 680 photos

I've been a VT member for a few years now, but it took me forever to update this page. I had once inappropriately stated (on this page!!) that there was not much to say about Nicosia. I was definitely wrong (and probably being lazy)!!!

To correct my previous mistake, it's my priority to update this page with lots of tips and hints! Be patient with me please :-)

Lefkosa/Lefkosia/Nicosia has been the capital of both Turkish and Greek sides for years, and I am from the Turkish side.

In my eyes, Nicosia is a slowly blooming city. Every day you notice something new, something pleasant about it. A reason for this is undoubtedly the vast amount of time and money put into by UN and EU-funded projects for restorating the historic buildings and improving the city infrastructure.

Since April 23, 2003, the borders are open and it is now possible for all Cypriots and foreigners to visit both sides 'freely' with a proper passport or national ID card. It is a huge improvement to the previous situation of special permits and time restrictions.

Still though this page is going to be solely about the northern part of Nicosia, as it is what I know best. Maybe in time, as I feel more at ease in the South, I will update this page with relative tips.

So in a nutshell...

The advantage of staying in Nicosia is its central location. When you go to other cities in the North, it wouldn't take more than 2 hrs. The downside is: In summer, it is unbearable. There is no beach, the closest is about half an hour...

City Center

The old city center is what we call Ataturk Meydani (Ataturk Square) or 'Sarayonu' - a historic location where most demonstrations and celebrations take place.

Not only tourist attractions, but most businesses also are located in the city center.

• Pros:Central location, healthy breeze at nights, heart of politics!
  • Cons:Too hot in summer, somewhat lacking nightlife.
  • In a nutshell:It's my hometown and I could be biased, but experiencing Nicosia's unique character is something you wouldn't like to miss!
  • Last visit to Nicosia: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Mar 16, 2005

Profsmiley Lives Here!

Profsmiley

“Don't knock it 'til you have tried it!”

Badges & Stats in Nicosia

Have you been to Nicosia?

Latest Activity in Nicosia