"Ankara - All four seasons in four days" Ankara by Profsmiley

Ankara Travel Guide: 374 reviews and 1,293 photos

We took a 4-day trip to Ankara end of January. And for those who doesn't know, Ankara is in central Anatolia, and very much has a typical inland climate - cold winters, warm and bearable summers.

When we arrived it was a somewhat cloudy and misty - temperature being mildly cold - good transition for all of us, Cypriots ;-)

Then the next morning, sun was shining, and we ran off to the Eymir lake to enjoy the uncharacteristically warm day.

Our third day there, it started raining but it was not cold until the sun set down. The temperature fell, and we woke up to a snowy day...

By the time we arrived at the airport, snow had covered everywhere like a tight blanket.

Ankara is one of those cities that seems to be uninteresting (boring, even!), which later turns out to be full of surprises.

• Pros:Organized, friendly 'big' university town, efficient public transportation, not touristic.
  • Cons:Limited no. of international flights, not very easy to get around unless you know a little bit of Turkish.
  • In a nutshell:The residence of Turkish politics, Ankara, is the central connection point to the other parts of Türkiye.
  • Last visit to Ankara: Jan 2005
  • Intro Updated Feb 1, 2005

• fabrice's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2010 at 11:44 PM

I wish to visit one day , have been 7 times to turkey, but never in ankara

• Hotlantadon's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2009 at 7:57 AM

I fist went to this restaurant in 1979. Each visit to Turkey includes at least one visit to this place. I am in Ankara June 19th for a wedding and will go to this place. The best in the world--Don from Atlanta Georgia

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2008 at 11:11 AM

Wonderful Ankara pages! And birthday wishes from Alaska!

• xuxaBR's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2007 at 7:16 PM

Merhaba... Nasilsiniz? I'll be trabeling to Turkey in February and of course visiting Ankara, also. Your pages are a great help... very nice pics and tips. Thankx for sharing :)))

• insurancedon's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2007 at 12:17 PM

I have been going since 1979. It is the best that I have ever had. I would love to help them break into the U.S. Market. The way they spice the meat is perfect. This needs to be a priority stop should you visit Turkey. It is a slice of heaven.

• oxygen-istanbul's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2005 at 1:57 PM

Merhaba! Nice pics from Ankara. New airport is under construction, you'll like when it completed. for the restaurants: Kalbur is a fish restaurant located in Oran. Wine house is the special wine house:)

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2005 at 1:39 PM

Looks interesting. Might make it there soon.

• BluBluBlu's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2005 at 6:27 AM

Some great photo's & tips...that doner sounded good! Happy travels, Blu

• jto's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2005 at 4:49 AM

Oh great start. Ankara looks nice but the airport pic isnt that inviting:( The Eymir Lake looks peaceful tho :)

• MrBill's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2005 at 5:28 AM

Next time I go to Ankara I will bring you along as my travel guide. Thanks Faize. Talk to you soon. Bill.

Profsmiley

“Don't knock it 'til you have tried it!”

Badges & Stats in Ankara