"The gentle face of the future America" Top 5 Page for this destination Yakima by cochinjew

Yakima Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 109 photos

east of cascade mountains

I felt so good being here in Yakima with my friends. Eventhough the city is fairly young, possibly from 1900s, after all this area was new to the americans until lewis and clarke passed through here 1805-6.
You would be amazed to see an amalgam of people here: FIlipinos who came before the second world war, since they were "american nationals" at that time; Mexican migrants old and new ( older than the later white arrials) and of course the oldest of them all the Indians. The mixture of people are written in their faces.

Justice William O Douglas

I remember my first visit to the USA while still at school: and i distinctly remember
a: american would be the first democratic country to elect fascism
b: we missed a great chance when we did not elect Justice William O Douglas as President. For those who are interested his history and his politics and his moralityis worth studying, a true american liberal.
He was from around here.

and there are the Indians

The treaty of 1855, forced upon the iNDIANS by then governor of this area, made them cede over 10 million acres of land, while keeping 1.4 million acres including the Pahto.. sacred mountain to the yakama people.
Yakama Nation consists of about 14 different bands. June 9th and the weekend thereabouts are the celebrations of the treaty day and it is worthwhile visiting the indian area at that time. (toppenish, wa)

• Pros:After a visit to Yakima, it would be hard to be anti american
  • Cons:because the mountain passes may be snowed shut, may feel isolated
  • In a nutshell:I felt a great uplift in my soul after visiting my friend Dar and Bernal there
  • Last visit to Yakima: Oct 2006
  • Intro Updated Oct 13, 2006

• kevanrijn's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2007 at 9:32 PM

I've enjoyed reading your Yakima pages. I've spent several weekends there and used to come there to pick up loads of apples for delivery elsewhere in the states. It's a lovely area!

cochinjew

“If I am only for myself, what am I ?”

Badges & Stats in Yakima