"The gentle face of the future America" Top 5 Page for this destination Yakima by cochinjew
Yakima Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 109 photos
I felt so good being here in Yakima with my friends. Eventhough the city is fairly young, possibly from 1900s, after all this area was new to the americans until lewis and clarke passed through here 1805-6.
You would be amazed to see an amalgam of people here: FIlipinos who came before the second world war, since they were "american nationals" at that time; Mexican migrants old and new ( older than the later white arrials) and of course the oldest of them all the Indians. The mixture of people are written in their faces.
I remember my first visit to the USA while still at school: and i distinctly remember
a: american would be the first democratic country to elect fascism
b: we missed a great chance when we did not elect Justice William O Douglas as President. For those who are interested his history and his politics and his moralityis worth studying, a true american liberal.
He was from around here.
The treaty of 1855, forced upon the iNDIANS by then governor of this area, made them cede over 10 million acres of land, while keeping 1.4 million acres including the Pahto.. sacred mountain to the yakama people.
Yakama Nation consists of about 14 different bands. June 9th and the weekend thereabouts are the celebrations of the treaty day and it is worthwhile visiting the indian area at that time. (toppenish, wa)
- Pros:After a visit to Yakima, it would be hard to be anti american
- Cons:because the mountain passes may be snowed shut, may feel isolated
- In a nutshell:I felt a great uplift in my soul after visiting my friend Dar and Bernal there
To call generic food from the subcontinent of India, "Indian", is to call Albanian food, European Food! food from one... more travel advice
at least they are honest, they call it mexican american food rather than calling it mexican. and the location is... more travel advice
cochinjew's Related Pages
Yakima Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The gentle face of the future America"
- "Yakima - Central Washington's Desert Capital"
- "matt34747's new Yakima Page"
- "Yakima, Washington"
- "seattlegirl's Yakima Page"
- "Elkmilk's new Yakima Page"
- "Economic Center of Fruit Growing Region"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Yakima
- Hotels in Yakima
- Transportation in Yakima
- Nightlife in Yakima
- Restaurants in Yakima
- Warnings and Dangers in Yakima
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Yakima
- 16 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Yakima?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yakima
Photos in YakimaSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 120 reviews, 284 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kochi Intro, 123 reviews, 281 photos, 6 travelogues
- Melaka Intro, 51 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Miami Intro, 44 reviews, 132 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rangoon Intro, 70 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 42 reviews, 130 photos, 1 travelogue
- Buenos Aires Intro, 73 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bangalore Intro, 47 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Burma Intro, 41 reviews, 68 photos, 5 travelogues
No friends yet.