"Rapa Nui ..Mystery or Metaphor" Easter Island by cochinjew
Easter Island Travel Guide: 628 reviews and 1,507 photos
Today is the anniversary of the annexation of Easter Island by Chile. On September 9, 1888, Capt Poilcarpo Toro Hurtado claimed Isla de Pascua for Chile..
This day of celebrations in Hanga Roa is not without the resentment, the islanders have felt towards Chileans, the kindest of all colonizers, if such a thing should exist. The good news is that the Govt of Chile is considering autonomy for Easter Island freeing them from the disinterested people of the Fifth region based in Valparaiso.
He was not the first european to come to Easter Island.. there were many... and they still come.. now to be humbled by the mystery that is Easter Island as well as the Metaphor of destruction it offers our planet..
One evening, as Hau Maka lay beneath the full moon on the island Marae-toe-hau, he had a dream.
The dream sould of Hau Maka flew towards the rising sun and she passed above seven lands, each of which she inspected. But none of the seven was to her liking. So she continued on her journey, flying farther, over the vast and empty ocean, and for a long time she saw no lands below, only the rolling sea, until finally she reached a sandy shore. Here the dream sould descended. She stood upon a glistening white beach and saw in the water the fish Mahore. Then the dream sould walked acorss the land and saw plump fruits of all colours, which she tated and were to her pleasure. Each fragrant flower she smelled, plucking a white one to tuck behind her ear. And then the dream soul climbed to the highest point on the land from where she could see the ocean and sky meeting all around her. As she loooked at the island, she felt a gentle breeze coming towards her..
Here was where she wanted to live.
When Hau Maka awakened, he found the King Hotu Matua and told him what his drema soul had seen.
We shall find that land, said the King..
The legend of Hotu Matua, and the discovery of the island
Te Piyo O Te Henua
Archeological sites on this very small island...
1048 houses ( hare paenga and ana paenga )
560 stone chicken coops ( hare moa)
840 statues (moai)
202 petroglyphs (ancient stone and rock carvings)
599 caves and cavern like caves (ana)
587 agricultural constructions
1754 constructions without classifications
Altogether 5590 archeologicla sites in this very small island and each with their particular stories.
So it is very important that you go with a knowledgeable guide, particularly someone who has lived in the island for years..
- Pros:Magnificent Destination for a traveller
- Cons:You would enjoy more of the island if you read up on it before
- In a nutshell:Try and visit Easter Island and leave only footprints
Much of the information written under the local customs tips are from Grant McCall, who is director of south pacific... more travel advice
Recent history. After an unexpected "revolt", really a cargo cult in 1914, the Chilean government began to send regular... more travel advice
cochinjew's Related Pages
Easter Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Easter Island - Rapa Nui"
- "Easter Island and the Stone Heads"
- "Mysteries and moai"
- "Rapa Nui - a very special feeling"
- "Easter Island - The Most Remote Frontier On Earth"
- "An Island of Legend, Beauty, and Mystery"
- "wadekorzan's new Easter Island Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Easter Island
- Hotels in Easter Island
- Transportation in Easter Island
- Nightlife in Easter Island
- Restaurants in Easter Island
- Shopping in Easter Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Easter Island
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Easter Island
- 30 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Easter Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Easter Island
- Posted in Travel United States of America Forum "Re: Reccomendations for a 2 week..."
- Wrote a Review The Aussie Easter Island Connection 2 in Easter Island Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Aussie Easter Island Connection 2"
- created a Easter Island Travelogue "For More Information on Rapa Nui"
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 120 reviews, 284 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kochi Intro, 123 reviews, 281 photos, 6 travelogues
- Melaka Intro, 51 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rangoon Intro, 70 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 42 reviews, 130 photos, 1 travelogue
- Miami Intro, 43 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 72 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bangalore Intro, 47 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Burma Intro, 41 reviews, 68 photos, 5 travelogues
No friends yet.