Burma Local Custom Tips by cochinjew
Burma Local Customs: 141 reviews and 197 photos
The Union of Burma was united under the legendary king, who defeated various kingdoms: Mon, Rakhine, Shan among others and brought them all under control. so while the Bamar is the majority in the population there are hundred or so other nationalities present in the present day Myanmar
Thibaw had been 28 years old when the Burma Expeditionary Force of General Sir Harry Prendergast seized Mandalay and extinguished Burma’s thousand year old throne. This was November 1885. Randolph Churchill, then secretary of State for India, had pushed for the intervention in the hope that a short, easy war in Burma would be a good thing for British profits and even better thing for his party on the eve of the general elections. Thibaw, his wife and small daughters were immediately packed off to exile in Ratnagiri, a little town on India’s west coast, not far from Goa. Other members of the royal family were scattered around India. Thibaw would die in exile in 1916: only then was the rest of the family allowed back to Burma, although not to Mandalay.
Thant Myint U
5 march 2007
Those visiting Burma for the first time or interested others, I highly recommend, Amitav Ghosh's book The Glass Palace. A quasi historical romance, this book made me look into the history of Indians in Burma, the royal family's exile in Ratnagiri, and also the Nationalist Movement for Indian Independence led by subhas chandra Bose, a trail I followed a little later, historically speaking from malaysia to Burma.
Multiple races are reflected in the faces of the burmese children.. not only myanma, but indians from south india or from bengal , chinese and other peoples from the north and also the tribal peoples from all around burma.
I have noticed that because of so little contact with foreigners they dont beg or ask for anything but just happy to tag along with you and ask you questions or laugh with you..
anti aging beer- an oxymoron
Spirulina beer is marketed as an antiaging beer.. with some lovely myanma models laughing away as they do at all commercial billboards.. looked a bit ridiculous
store front tea shop
It is customary to invite your burmese friends or be invited by them to a tea. there are hundreds of these shops scattered around and one is always at hand. it is wonderful to sit in one of them and sip tea, chat with your local friends and watch the world go by. tranquil is the scene..
asking for alms
While driving around the country, you would see people with bowls extended. as you pass some villages, there is music and there is a group of people with their bowls all ready. Very decent and there is never any pressure. In this picture, students from the University at Taunggy were asking for alms of the drivers for the monastery behind
More Reviews (35)
- See All VISA ON ARRIVAL TO BURMA
- See All New Airlines in Burma
- Boat travel along the Irrawarry upper...
- See All Travel Agents adding on Fees for Visa on...
- See All VISIT BURMA MYANMAR UNION OF MYANMAR ETC
cochinjew's Related Pages
Burma Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The land of the 1.000.000 pagoda's."
- "Burma - Myanmar Land of amazing sights!"
- "Babushka Burma"
- "11 days in the Golden Land!"
- "Burma Page"
- "Brilliant Burma"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Burma
- Hotels in Burma
- Transportation in Burma
- Nightlife in Burma
- Restaurants in Burma
- Shopping in Burma
- Warnings and Dangers in Burma
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Burma
- 144 Reviews
- 276 Photos
- 105 Forum posts
- 11 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Burma?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Burma
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 120 reviews, 284 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kochi Intro, 123 reviews, 281 photos, 6 travelogues
- Melaka Intro, 51 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Miami Intro, 44 reviews, 132 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rangoon Intro, 70 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 42 reviews, 130 photos, 1 travelogue
- Buenos Aires Intro, 73 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bangalore Intro, 47 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Burma Intro, 41 reviews, 68 photos, 5 travelogues
No friends yet.