"Among the Original Inhabitants of Kerala" State of Kerala by cochinjew

State of Kerala Travel Guide: 1,707 reviews and 4,256 photos

The Only Place I know in India

By some quirk of travellling and personal preferences, Kerala and in particular Cochin are the only places that I know in India. I am a traveller and have been to nearly 100 countries and many of them more than a dozen times each, but the thought of travelling else where in India, however enchanting, does not appeal to me at present.
Having said that I have been able to concentrate on Kerala and Malayalees, who to me are a good group of people, helpful and pleasant.
In Kerala, I am drawn to Cochin and fortunately have made enough friends there to make sure that the stays are comfortable and enriching.

Apart from friendly malayalees, what else?

For me, the Jewish History of the Area
Secondly, the natural beauty of the Area, including Backwaters, mountains and its inhabitants
And equally importantly, the Food, which I find to be very tasty and with flavour. I am not very fond of North Indian food but the Kerala food suits me just fine.

The Forest Tribes

Just a short ride away from Cochin, starting at the Athirapilly falls, one comes across the colonies of the original people of this area, generically called Adivasi, just like the Canadian Indians are called First Nations. I was very excited to meet them and their acquaintance would draw me more to the state as I plan to conceive of a project which will help them socially, and medically.

• Pros:Lovely People, Enchanting Scenery and Hospitable People
  • Cons:A little bit of Wannabees..difficult to communicate well without Malayalam
  • In a nutshell:To me, the best place and the only place I know well in India
  • Last visit to State of Kerala: Apr 2007
  • Intro Updated Sep 7, 2007

• kmohandas's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2008 at 5:52 AM

It appears that you have travelled to the remote interiors of Kerala. I can't understand your tips on my home state.

cochinjew Visits Here Frequently!

cochinjew

“If I am only for myself, what am I ?”

Badges & Stats in State of Kerala

Have you been to State of Kerala?

Friends