"Maputo will teach you about saudade" Maputo by cochinjew
Maputo Travel Guide: 331 reviews and 954 photos
Arrived in Maputo from Ciudad Del Cabo via JNB airport. The first impression of the people here: friendly, innocence radiating out of their faces and not so obese..
Apartheid in SA must have been so horrible fpr tje scars on the souls of the african blacks, indians and coloureds are visible in their looks of shame, ways of walking and innate suspiciousness..
Young men and women, young boys and girls, mothers with children strapped on their back, are walking along the stgreet.. while in Cape Town one sees groups of black youth, standing idly at corners and eyeing you suspiciously...
Mozambican blacks are so much like brasilians or cubans, slightly flirtish, walking with their heads high, with a sense of harmony with the earth they walk upon.
English Vs Portuguese
Protestant vs Catholic
Strict slavery and isolation (English) vs conjugal pairing ( cuba, brasil)
You take sides and think about it...
In the morning you are ina rich city where the ambience of fear rules and in the same evening you are in a poor third world city- but with less fear, more self confidence and people here are better looking than those in south africa...
Lovely to see that all the major streets are named after revolutionaries
MARX ENGELS LENIN MACHEL MONDLANE MAOTSETUNG HO CHI MINH
is there a Fidel Castro Street? but Fidel does not go for such things even in cuba.. I asked my friend luizinho, is there a fidel castro street, he scratched his head, no, not yet..
Che Guevera? No..
I have to look into that.. nuestra querida comandante che.. he deserves to nestle among these greats in the streets of maputo in mozamibique...
- Pros:Maputo will linger with you...
- Cons:Too many AID workers with mobile phones
- In a nutshell:Go now before the innocence is lost.. which I doubt it
Along the avenida mao tse tung, taking a left from Fatimas as you come out, and going towards the junction of the main... more travel advice
avenida mao tse tung crosses avenida kim il sung.. two asian giants.. in this faraway corner of africa... more travel advice
cochinjew's Related Pages
Maputo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Maputo - formerly "Lourenço Marques""
- "Backpacking in MAPUTO"
- "NICE COUNTRY - BAD GOVERNMENT"
- "The tide of changes"
- "Maputo...and lobster feast!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Maputo
- Hotels in Maputo
- Transportation in Maputo
- Nightlife in Maputo
- Restaurants in Maputo
- Shopping in Maputo
- Warnings and Dangers in Maputo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Maputo
- 16 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (56)
Have you been to Maputo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Maputo
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 120 reviews, 284 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kochi Intro, 123 reviews, 281 photos, 6 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos, 1 travelogue
- Miami Intro, 44 reviews, 132 photos, 5 travelogues
- Melaka Intro, 51 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rangoon Intro, 70 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 73 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bangalore Intro, 47 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Burma Intro, 41 reviews, 68 photos, 5 travelogues
No friends yet.