"My Favourite City in all the world.. for now." Buenos Aires by cochinjew
Buenos Aires Travel Guide: 4,784 reviews and 8,920 photos
My visit to BA was in July 2001, just short of two years ago. Since then I have been there, ten times. I would be there in a couple of days I look forward to it as usual.. the pattern is already set, a quick trip from the airport to the hotel...out to the streets, walk around, coffee...
the first dinner is always at La Bodeguita at the corner of Montevideo and Sarmiento in the centre of town.. lovely restaurant.. I will write about it in the food section.
The first time I went there I was helped immensely by the best guide book on Argentina I had seen, one by an Australian called Leitner.. very minute details ( of austrian origin, this mr leitner )
at that time I peso equaled I usd, that made everything expensive by comparison to say, Miami.
That is no longer the case, even though I pray for the economic recovery of the Argentines, with help from the new president, Kirchner, perhaps he is a good guy compared to the other thiefs of the ilk of Menem.
I have met two VT members in BA: both very helpful, sof76 and Lunita.
during the day it is the summer days and in the evenings the breeze that caresses you and this city that never sleeps.
this is my fifteenth visit to this gorgeous city in two and half years .a city of full of bookstores and scores of very intellectual and educated people restaurants galore...
it is truly one of the greatest cities in the world at this moment.
to tell you how much i love this city.. i had to be in miami on monday and left cuba on thursday so that i can spend just two days here in this marvellous city.. a city that reminds me of my own hometown in australia.. melbourne
so much in common with melbourne.. mainly cafes and food and the italians...
the parque at rivadavia, later a coffee at las violetas.. with argentine friends who dream of the world with you..
when i began travelling to BA in 2001, the tourists were from Brasil and other south american countries with a trickle of foreigners. But with the fall of the peso, the discovery of BA was complete. On my last visit, the place was crowded with foreigners: airport, hotels and anywhere you looked.
I am glad to have been there many many times before the hordes arrived.
- Pros:for me this city is a dream
- Cons:go before the hordes get here...
- In a nutshell:mi buenos aires querido as gardel said
I arrived at the Airport at BsAs without a hotel but soon decided on this hotel depending upon the reviews it had... more travel advice
many many stalls are set on the plaza dorrego and the best time of course is the weekend. in fact on a sunday the place... more travel advice
- See All A Late Lunch in Palermo
- See All Extraordinary Taxista
- A lively place to spend a night with...
- See All Calle Florida downtown
cochinjew's Related Pages
Buenos Aires Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Buenos Aires, a city I really LOVE!"
- "Buenos Aires 2004"
- "Mi Buenos aires Querido..."
- "Buenos Aires the local way!"
- "My Home Away from Home"
- "BUENOS AIRES - I AM ALWAYS BACK!!!!!"
- "Buenos Aires - it's great!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Buenos Aires
- Hotels in Buenos Aires
- Transportation in Buenos Aires
- Nightlife in Buenos Aires
- Restaurants in Buenos Aires
- Shopping in Buenos Aires
- Warnings and Dangers in Buenos Aires
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Buenos Aires
- 73 Reviews
- 63 Photos
- 31 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Buenos Aires?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Buenos Aires
Photos in Buenos AiresSee All Photos (63)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 120 reviews, 284 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kochi Intro, 123 reviews, 281 photos, 6 travelogues
- Melaka Intro, 51 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rangoon Intro, 70 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 42 reviews, 130 photos, 1 travelogue
- Miami Intro, 43 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 73 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bangalore Intro, 47 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Burma Intro, 41 reviews, 68 photos, 5 travelogues
No friends yet.
Latest Buenos Aires hotel reviews
- Park Elegance Kempinski Hotel
- 68 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 9, 2013
- Hotel Sheltown
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Marriott Plaza Hotel Buenos Aires
- 554 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2013
- Hotel Globales Republica Wellness & Spa
- 56 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 9, 2013
- Four Seasons Buenos Aires
- 402 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 19, 2013
- Kempinski Park Central Hotel Buenos Aires
- 48 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- Kempinski Chateau Park Plaza Hotel
- 90 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 12, 2013
- The Cocker
- 119 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 17, 2013
- Golden Tulip Savoy
- 136 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 11, 2013
- Etoile Hotel
- 97 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 14, 2013
- Loi Suites Esmeralda Hotel
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 6, 2013
- Panamericano Buenos Aires Hotel
- 121 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2013
- El Conquistador Hotel
- 67 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Hotel Ibis Buenos Aires Obelisco
- 75 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Castelar Hotel And Spa
- 58 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013