"Initial Impressions of Salvador da Bahia?" Salvador da Bahia by cochinjew
Salvador da Bahia Travel Guide: 630 reviews and 1,335 photos
Who has not heard of Salvador da Bahia? the magical realism of Jorge Amado and his books made into films.. dona flor, tieta, gabriela....
The music of countless baiana/o.. caetano veloso, brown, the children of olodum.. too many to count.. samba of alcione, clara nunes and my own favourite agepe ( I dont know where Agepe was from!)
The initial impressions touch your heart.. especially for me, i have never been in a place which resembles cuba or of which cuba resembles so much as this one.. i watch the children play and dance and in their faces i see children of my own cuban town children.. of baracoa.. touching indeed...
I am here with my brother and we are staying in pelourinho and plan to soak it all up for a few days...
Yesterday we witnessed something which really was against everything we had thought about bahia and brazil.. the facultade de medicina next door to the church at praca de se was closed because of a wedding..
the music was not allowed to pass by the antonio brito street because of the reception for the wedding was being held in facultade de medicina.
the usual revelry at the corner restaurant in praca de se were told to cool it down because there was a wedding going on..
the wedding was a white social thing, at the reception nor at the wedding there were not a single black person ( at the reception the waiters were black ).. i was nauseated at the whole scene.. reminded me of the superiority the white jamaicans felt over their black co citizens..
later on talking to some blacks, i was told of the existence of a distinct black and white bahia. and the two do not mix.. to me, this was a great disappointment, to know that in the land that i thought the negros were well treated to be told that they are marginalized. the tourist trade is for negro and cultura negra.. but the power is in the hands of the whites..
what a difference from cuba where there is nothing like this would have happened. they may be poor and they be under dictatorship, but cuba is much more egalitarian..
i cannot wait to leave bahia.. after seeing the differences between the whites and the blacks
- Pros:For my Brother, it is a childhood dream come true!
- Cons:For me, I am saddened by the unhealthy behaviour brought on by tourism.. here and in cuba..
- In a nutshell:You cannot say you are a traveller;; and not have visited Bahia!
cochinjew's Related Pages
Salvador da Bahia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Salvador da Bahia"
- "Salvador - Africa in Brazil"
- "All I want is some ACARAJE!"
- "Salvador de Bahia: african roots are here"
- "Salvador Trip"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Salvador da Bahia
- Hotels in Salvador da Bahia
- Transportation in Salvador da Bahia
- Nightlife in Salvador da Bahia
- Restaurants in Salvador da Bahia
- Shopping in Salvador da Bahia
- Warnings and Dangers in Salvador da Bahia
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Salvador da Bahia
- 3 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Salvador da Bahia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Salvador da Bahia
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 120 reviews, 284 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kochi Intro, 123 reviews, 281 photos, 6 travelogues
- Melaka Intro, 51 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rangoon Intro, 70 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 42 reviews, 130 photos, 1 travelogue
- Miami Intro, 43 reviews, 127 photos, 5 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 73 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bangalore Intro, 47 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Burma Intro, 41 reviews, 68 photos, 5 travelogues
No friends yet.
Latest Salvador da Bahia hotel reviews
- Hotel Casa do Amarelindo
- 388 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Bahiacafe Hotel
- 100 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 16, 2013
- Pousada do Boqueirao
- 43 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Pousada Terra Nossa
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 28, 2013
- Village Novo
- 97 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 16, 2013
- Albergue das Laranjeiras
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 31, 2012
- Atlantic Towers
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 21, 2013
- Barra Guest Hostel
- 45 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 20, 2013
- Pousada da Mangueira
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 28, 2013
- Pousada da Saude
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 4, 2012
- Nega Maluca Guesthouse
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 8, 2013
- Albergue dos Anjos
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Albergue do Pelo
- 1 Review & Opinion