"Ernakulam or Cochin, what is it?" Ernakulam by cochinjew
Ernakulam Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 14 photos
In a move, I am sure by the Tourism spin doctors who came with the Gods Own Country slogan, they put everything in Ernakulam and its surroundings into Cochin. Cochin is historically Fort Cochin, Willingdon Island, Vypeen Island and other islands in the Bay..Ernakulam was the HQ of the district of same name.
The personalities of the two places are very different. Fort Cochin has a distinct personality of its multiculturalism or shall I say Multi religion, since culturally Moslems, Hindus, Christians and the few Jews left are remarkably similar. Ethnically except for the few jews in Jew Town, all other three religionists are of the same racial stock.
Ernakulam is busier, more business oriented, less for the tourist but full of historical markers and places if you bother to look for it.
Also the train stations are in Ernakulam and it is from the Jetty in Ernakulam that the ferries leave for various destination.
And needless to say the food in Ernakulam is much much better than the ones found in Fort Cochin and more varied. The lodgings are much cheaper in Ernakulam compared to the touristy Fort cochin.
You pay for the Ambience in Fort cochin and it may be worth it.
While there have been Jews in Fort Cochin for a very long time, fifteenth century onwards or earlier; equally older jewish communities existed in Ernakulam. There is also a Jew Street in Ernakulam near the market St and that is where you would find the Kodavumbagam synagogue now carefully guarded by Elia Babu.
cochinjew's Related Pages
Ernakulam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "In the footprints of Marco Polo"
- "A Place to Sleep"
- "Ernakulam or Cochin, what is it?"
- "Fascinated By The Retiring Room..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ernakulam
- Hotels in Ernakulam
- Transportation in Ernakulam
- Restaurants in Ernakulam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ernakulam
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Ernakulam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ernakulam
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 120 reviews, 284 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kochi Intro, 123 reviews, 281 photos, 6 travelogues
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 43 reviews, 135 photos, 1 travelogue
- Melaka Intro, 51 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Miami Intro, 44 reviews, 132 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rangoon Intro, 70 reviews, 103 photos, 2 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 73 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Bangalore Intro, 47 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- Havana Intro, 31 reviews, 82 photos, 4 travelogues
- Burma Intro, 41 reviews, 68 photos, 5 travelogues
No friends yet.