"Reno Nevada, I Love This Town!" Top 5 Page for this destination Reno by thecatsmeow

Reno Travel Guide: 351 reviews and 897 photos

Why I Enjoy This Town

Reno is one of my favorite places to visit each year. You have a wonderful selection of things to do
when you visit. It is located near the California border and only 58 miles from Lake Tahoe.Reno also has a great artistic side with many local artists showing thier wares and several nice little museums. Oh yeah and they have CASINO'S!
Yep thats one reason I love it here.Good food,Good shows and Good odds. This is my kind of town!

A Little History

In 1908 the Reno Anti-Gambling League was formed and gaming was outlawed in 1910. It was not long until laws eased to allow very restricted, 'civilized' games. These restricted games were not what the criminal element wanted when they hit town around the 1920's. High stakes gambling continued even with the ban. Well known criminals such as Baby Face Nelson, John Dillinger and Pretty Boy Floyd used these "hidden" gaming rooms to launder money. They are also responsible for making bootlegging and prostitution a big business. In 1931 legalized gambling was once again

Divorce and Marriage

Putting an end to marriage woes became big business in Reno during the 1930s. With only a six-week waiting period finally established, thousands of couples received a 'quickie' divorce. The rich and famous had found the ideal place to gain their freedom. Soon the Truckee River was flowing with diamond rings thrown in by happy divorcees. You can still sign up to do a dive in the Truckee today to see what you can find.

During World War II, weddings became the business of choice. Throngs of couples hoping for wedded bliss came to Reno. In 1945 alone, more than 18,000 couples tied the knot. 'In and Out' marriages became big business along the Truckee. This picture is of a chapel right on Virginia Street which is the main drag through town.

• Pros:There is a lot to see and do here
  • Cons:Parts of town are a little on the rundown seedy side
  • In a nutshell:This is more then a place to gamble its a place to have an adventure
  • Last visit to Reno: Aug 2005
  • Intro Updated Apr 14, 2007

• MissyWQ's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2010 at 8:16 AM

Reno/Tahoe is the name of the game. Boy, have you ever been caught in traffic with those bikes?

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2009 at 9:47 PM

Nice tips!

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2007 at 10:54 PM

Reno seems like a lovely place to visit and I really enjoyed your page on it ;-)

• spgood301's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2007 at 6:42 PM

It seems to take me weeks got get my pages up these day, Joyce. I'm using my internet connection as my excuse - I can't upload photos heeeheeeee

• funnybeee's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2007 at 9:24 PM

Thanks so much for the Birthday wishes, Joyce :)) I cannot believe we live so close to one another! Beee :)

• birchy99's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2006 at 8:23 PM

VRROOOOM!! VRROOOOOM!!!VRRROOOOOOM!!! Mart

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2006 at 8:22 AM

LOL Neon-lit bedrooms... wouldve caused a stir wouldnt it??? haha Very nice, thanks for a lovely page :) Jen x

• PinkFloydActuary's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2006 at 4:48 AM

Good stuff. With all of my trips to Nevada, I've never been to Reno. I hope to rectify that later this year.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2006 at 9:50 PM

What a delight to read. Love you thoroughness, enthusiasm, and helpful attitude. What a bathroom that was! Thanks for the virtual tour of Reno.

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2006 at 4:37 AM

Hi Joyce. I saw Reno on the Food Channel of all places. They showed the Great Barbequed Rib Cookoff. Worth a visit to Reno just for that, lol.

thecatsmeow