"Reno Nevada, I Love This Town!" Top 5 Page for this destination Reno by thecatsmeow
Reno Travel Guide: 351 reviews and 897 photos
Reno is one of my favorite places to visit each year. You have a wonderful selection of things to do
when you visit. It is located near the California border and only 58 miles from Lake Tahoe.Reno also has a great artistic side with many local artists showing thier wares and several nice little museums. Oh yeah and they have CASINO'S!
Yep thats one reason I love it here.Good food,Good shows and Good odds. This is my kind of town!
In 1908 the Reno Anti-Gambling League was formed and gaming was outlawed in 1910. It was not long until laws eased to allow very restricted, 'civilized' games. These restricted games were not what the criminal element wanted when they hit town around the 1920's. High stakes gambling continued even with the ban. Well known criminals such as Baby Face Nelson, John Dillinger and Pretty Boy Floyd used these "hidden" gaming rooms to launder money. They are also responsible for making bootlegging and prostitution a big business. In 1931 legalized gambling was once again
Putting an end to marriage woes became big business in Reno during the 1930s. With only a six-week waiting period finally established, thousands of couples received a 'quickie' divorce. The rich and famous had found the ideal place to gain their freedom. Soon the Truckee River was flowing with diamond rings thrown in by happy divorcees. You can still sign up to do a dive in the Truckee today to see what you can find.
During World War II, weddings became the business of choice. Throngs of couples hoping for wedded bliss came to Reno. In 1945 alone, more than 18,000 couples tied the knot. 'In and Out' marriages became big business along the Truckee. This picture is of a chapel right on Virginia Street which is the main drag through town.
- Pros:There is a lot to see and do here
- Cons:Parts of town are a little on the rundown seedy side
- In a nutshell:This is more then a place to gamble its a place to have an adventure
This buffet is one of Reno's best. Some days are definately better then others and it is best to read the menu of... more travel advice
The Rink on the River provides a fun atmosphere for your next visit to Reno. While only open seasonaly it is a fun and... more travel advice
thecatsmeow's Related Pages
Reno Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Reno Nevada, I Love This Town!"
- "We Love This Place!"
- "A Gambler's Gambling Town"
- "Reno-The biggest little city in the world"
- "The Eldorado"
- "Reno: More Than Just a Smaller Vegas"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Reno
- Hotels in Reno
- Transportation in Reno
- Nightlife in Reno
- Restaurants in Reno
- Shopping in Reno
- Warnings and Dangers in Reno
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Reno
- 21 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Reno?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Reno
Photos in RenoSee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 20 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reno Intro, 21 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lincoln City Intro, 20 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 16 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 6 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Astoria Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos
- Washougal Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Virginia Beach Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos
- Great Stirrup Cay Intro, 6 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Portsmouth Intro, 3 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues