"Oahu - A Haole's Point Of View" Oahu by thecatsmeow

Oahu Travel Guide: 4,294 reviews and 10,810 photos

Aloha! For starters a haole pronounced (HOW-lee) is a foreigner or caucasian. Literally meaning "out of breath", pale or paleface. I believe I am all of the above. :)
My first impression of Oahu was of course while in the airport. Heading from the gate where my plane landed and hiking over to the baggage claim area was the first sensual experience. With that I mean as soon as you exited the terminal to walk the open air passage to the baggage claim area you were able to experience with your senses that you were in a tropical paradise. Not only could you see lush greenery and feel the moist air but you could smell the sweet scent that is everywhere. I was smiling as I walked just taking it all in. Once I made it to the baggage claim area and gathered my belongings Valorie TropicGirl77 picked me up and my adventure began. Oahu is so much more then Honolulu and Waikiki.
The windward side of the island is a lush place with many beaches that are not only perfect for picture taking but much less crowded also. This is the islands wetter side so it is greener and cooler. The North Shore beaches are a surfers dream in the winter monthes. The sunsets from the shoreline are worth the effort alone. Ko Olina Resort located on the leeward side of the island is also a must see and open to all who wish to see her lagoons. So when you visit lovely Oahu be sure to venture away from the city and explore all she has to offer. Mahalo.

• Pros:The island has many beautiful uncrowded areas to explore
  • Cons:The Waikiki area is very crowded and touristy
  • In a nutshell:Paradise found if you know where to look
  • Last visit to Oahu: Mar 2007
  • Intro Updated Mar 14, 2007

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2007 at 8:57 AM

Great pics Joyce. There is obviously more on Oahu than just Honolulu Beach and Diamond Head.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2007 at 11:09 PM

Hi Joyce, Thank you for the information, nice photos, we will keep a lookout for the stingers when we stopover this July.

• keida84's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2007 at 8:57 PM

Oooh 3 tips and an intro and I did not have to wait for 2 months, don't scare me Joyce. Beautifully written, with care for the Hawaiian spellings. Great photos too.

thecatsmeow