"Oahu - A Haole's Point Of View" Oahu by thecatsmeow
Oahu Travel Guide: 4,106 reviews and 10,146 photos
Aloha! For starters a haole pronounced (HOW-lee) is a foreigner or caucasian. Literally meaning "out of breath", pale or paleface. I believe I am all of the above. :)
My first impression of Oahu was of course while in the airport. Heading from the gate where my plane landed and hiking over to the baggage claim area was the first sensual experience. With that I mean as soon as you exited the terminal to walk the open air passage to the baggage claim area you were able to experience with your senses that you were in a tropical paradise. Not only could you see lush greenery and feel the moist air but you could smell the sweet scent that is everywhere. I was smiling as I walked just taking it all in. Once I made it to the baggage claim area and gathered my belongings Valorie TropicGirl77 picked me up and my adventure began. Oahu is so much more then Honolulu and Waikiki.
The windward side of the island is a lush place with many beaches that are not only perfect for picture taking but much less crowded also. This is the islands wetter side so it is greener and cooler. The North Shore beaches are a surfers dream in the winter monthes. The sunsets from the shoreline are worth the effort alone. Ko Olina Resort located on the leeward side of the island is also a must see and open to all who wish to see her lagoons. So when you visit lovely Oahu be sure to venture away from the city and explore all she has to offer. Mahalo.
- Pros:The island has many beautiful uncrowded areas to explore
- Cons:The Waikiki area is very crowded and touristy
- In a nutshell:Paradise found if you know where to look
We were happily winding our way around the island and Valories sister was reading the upcoming destinations. Oh the... more travel advice
The best way to get a true feeling of all Oahu has to offer is to rent a car. Then head away from Honolulu. You can rent... more travel advice
thecatsmeow's Related Pages
Oahu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oahu: Home Sweet Home in Paradise"
- "Captivating Oahu"
- "Heaven on Earth"
- "Oahu--Exquisite beaches and Ethereal landscape"
- "The Gathering Place..."
- "Land of the Humahumanukanukuapa'a & Menehuenes"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oahu
- Hotels in Oahu
- Transportation in Oahu
- Nightlife in Oahu
- Restaurants in Oahu
- Shopping in Oahu
- Warnings and Dangers in Oahu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oahu
- 6 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Oahu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oahu
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 20 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reno Intro, 21 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lincoln City Intro, 20 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 16 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Oahu Intro, 6 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Astoria Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos
- Washougal Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Virginia Beach Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos
- Great Stirrup Cay Intro, 6 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Portsmouth Intro, 3 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues