"Cumberland Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Cumberland Island by taxing
Cumberland Island Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 150 photos
This is one of the most beautiful places you could find, an island off the coast that has been stuck in time since the turn of the century. Drive to St. Mary's, Georgia, the southernmost city on I-95, just before the Florida border. Stay overnight in St Mary's. Take the early morning ferry to Cumberland and spend the day. Get a picnic lunch before you go--there are no stores on the island. Better yet, take a tent and camp a day or two. The picture is of Stafford, one of the remaining mansions on the island that date back to the days of the Carnegie family children's weddings. The widow of Thomas Carnegie (Andrew's brother) gave a mansion to each of their children as a wedding present. Currently there is a big controversy with the National Park Service, who wouldn't have a park if it weren't for the Carnegie Family but who continue to try to drive out Greyfield Inn, which is still run by Carnegie descendants. Make sure you visit my Cumberland travelogue too--click up to the right.
- Pros:Nature, history, beach, camping and wildlife
- Cons:Mosquitoes were there first and still reign supreme
- In a nutshell:Will restore peace to your hurried and anxious life
Only what you can carry on your back. Bring water bottles, cooking utensils, freeze dried meals, a tent, sleeping bag or... more travel advice
Occasionally while you're hiking you will encounter an animal who believes the trail is not for people. This is the... more travel advice
taxing's Related Pages
Cumberland Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beaches and Reaches"
- "What a beautiful island!!"
- "Nature, History .... or the Beach, your Choice"
- "Getting Away"
- "Cumberland Island"
- "2003 November 22 0vernight to St. Mary's Inlet"
- "luv2learn's Cumberland Island Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cumberland Island
- Hotels in Cumberland Island
- Transportation in Cumberland Island
- Nightlife in Cumberland Island
- Restaurants in Cumberland Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Cumberland Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cumberland Island
- 7 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Cumberland Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cumberland Island
Top 10 Pages
- Washington D.C. Intro, 6 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
- Peru Intro, 5 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Christchurch Intro, 4 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cumberland Island Intro, 7 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Antonio Intro, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Switzerland Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos, 1 travelogue
- New Orleans Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Lake Pukaki Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos
- Argentina 1 review, 5 photos
No friends yet.