"Cobh" Top 5 Page for this destination Cobh by chrissyalex
Cobh Travel Guide: 88 reviews and 234 photos
Cobh (pronounced "Cove") means "haven" in Irish and at one time was named Queenstown. This harbour town lies on Great Island 15 miles east of Cork city and is one of the world's largest natural harbours. Before aviation,Cobh was Ireland's chief port of exit and entry. There is a great amount of history to this town. It was the last port of call for the Titanic before it sunk in 1912 and also was a frequent port of call for the Lusitania which was torpedoed and sunk not far from here near the Old Head of Kinsale in 1915. Two and a half million Irish departed from Cobh to the USA in the mid 1800's.,many in "coffin" ships.
- Pros:pretty and historic
- Cons:with the exception of a few pubs,kind of quiet at night, but this may have been due to the time of year I visited there
- In a nutshell:an interesting daytrip
This town was originally named Cove. When Queen Victoria first visited Ireland, she arrived in Cove and it was renamed... more travel advice
This is a memorial to the Irish emmigrant victims of the Titanic . Cobh was the last stop of this ship before its tragic... more travel advice
chrissyalex's Related Pages
Cobh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Town With Too Many Memories"
- "Cobh, Ireland"
- "3 million irish are wrong !"
- "Cobh - Ireland's former gateway to the new world"
- "Lusitania, Titanic, Convicts, Emigrants..."
- "Cobh - Immigrants, The Titantic, and great people"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cobh
- Hotels in Cobh
- Transportation in Cobh
- Nightlife in Cobh
- Restaurants in Cobh
- Shopping in Cobh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cobh
- 10 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Cobh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cobh
Photos in CobhSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Malta Intro, 45 reviews, 84 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cusco Intro, 34 reviews, 46 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tunisia Intro, 26 reviews, 49 photos, 5 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 28 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 26 reviews, 39 photos, 3 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 16 reviews, 49 photos, 5 travelogues
- Valletta Intro, 18 reviews, 44 photos, 4 travelogues
- Auburn Intro, 23 reviews, 39 photos, 4 travelogues
- London Intro, 24 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 15 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues