Petra Things to Do Tips by Gili_S
Petra Things to Do: 538 reviews and 965 photos
You can also go and visit the desert in this area, there are many canyons and interesting places & sites around but don't go on your own, you might get lost so be sure you have a guide and you know where you are going.
You can spend all your day hanging around in this desert site, further up I notice this windows that been curved into the rock by years of water and winds. As well as other interesting sites in the high places.
As you proceed further down the canyon, beyond the Al Khazneh you will get to see also the amphitheatre, it says it has Roman influence but the unique in this particular one is the fact that it was built into the rock and not by bringing rocks and stones to build it.
You walk down from the entry gate through the canyon and observe the beautiful colourful walls, as you get progress the canyon get deeper, narrower and the walls are getting higher. Few interesting images are attached here.
Siq is the name of the last leg before approaching the famous Al Khazneh. It is in the lower part of the canyon and very narrow part of it, you will slowly proceed and then suddenly you will notice ahead of you the famous beautiful site.
The whole site is full of many burial chambers from this ancient time, estimated on average of 2000 years from the time of the Nabataean, they are even mentioned in the Bible but I am not going to tell the whole story, you can read all about on the web.
Petra's most famous and known site is the Al Khazneh, it is about two thousand years old and it was carved into the canyon rock. What people might not know that it is just burial chamber and not a temple or such, probably this one was a one of a rich and important person of that time.
More Reviews (19)
- See All Drinking
- See All Walking
- See All Films and Video
- Comfortable shoes and take water
- See All Dress code
Gili_S's Related Pages
Petra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Petra : the city of the caravans"
- "Petra: a wonderful town"
- "A love story with Petra"
- "The Nabataean City"
- "Petra - a highlight of Jordan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Petra
- Hotels in Petra
- Transportation in Petra
- Nightlife in Petra
- Restaurants in Petra
- Shopping in Petra
- Warnings and Dangers in Petra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Petra
- 26 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (86)
Have you been to Petra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Petra
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Helsinki Intro, 103 reviews, 150 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tallinn Intro, 80 reviews, 121 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubrovnik Intro, 59 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phan Thiet Intro, 50 reviews, 118 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Finland Intro, 59 reviews, 108 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Eilat Intro, 53 reviews, 110 photos, 1 travelogue
- Barcelona Intro, 55 reviews, 100 photos
- Vienna Intro, 73 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyoto Intro, 49 reviews, 104 photos
- Prague Intro, 58 reviews, 92 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (35)
- The Treasury - Al Khazneh- 73 Reviews, 159 Photos
- Siq- 65 Reviews, 131 Photos
- Monastery- 45 Reviews, 89 Photos
- Royal Tombs- 20 Reviews, 35 Photos
- Theater- 17 Reviews, 26 Photos
- Urn Tomb- 16 Reviews, 20 Photos
- Street of Facades- 9 Reviews, 24 Photos
- High Place of Sacrifice- 12 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Obelisk Tomb- 9 Reviews, 14 Photos
- Qasr al Bint- 8 Reviews, 13 Photos
See All Petra Things to Do