"Tyler - My Birthplace" Tyler by american_tourister
Tyler Travel Guide: 60 reviews and 151 photos
My sister and I were born here. My father and brother still live here but other than when I was a baby I have never lived here. I visit some but it is a world apart from my lifestyle.
Tyler is East Texas redneck. I don't mean that in a bad way. I am a genetic redneck but never have really felt part of the culture here. The folks and way of life here are more akin to Arkansas and Northern Louisiana than they are to Central or South Texas.
It is an interesting place though. The people are genuinely friendly and will go out of their way to help with anything from directions to changing a tire. A Old South genteelness still is in existence here.
It is a place where you can still find old timers who hang out at the gas station and play checkers and where women have quilting nights. There are not a lot of places like it left.
It would be a shame for Tyler to change too much but I am afraid that it will. You can see it in all the new development and with the ever changing homoginization of American culture. It's all MTV everywhere now.
UPDATE - I was contacted by Pat Gee's Grandson who has informed me that they now serve beans and cole slaw.
- Pros:Last of the old Texas lifestyles
- Cons:Depressed economy
- In a nutshell:A great place to visit but I'm glad I don't live there
If you have never attended a true Southern Wedding go rent the movie "Steel Magnolias". My brother's wedding was like... more travel advice
american_tourister's Related Pages
Tyler Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tyler,Texas--Come for the Azalea and Rose Festival"
- "A Tyler Rose-Less Page :o("
- "Sweetberry's Tyler Page"
- "The Rose of Texas"
- "Blueump's Tyler Page"
- "Tyler - My Birthplace"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tyler
- Hotels in Tyler
- Transportation in Tyler
- Nightlife in Tyler
- Restaurants in Tyler
- Warnings and Dangers in Tyler
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tyler
- 2 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Tyler?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tyler
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bosnia and Herzegovina Intro, 35 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Long Beach Intro, 24 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 31 reviews, 45 photos
- Budapest Intro, 26 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Los Angeles Intro, 13 reviews, 49 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zagreb Intro, 18 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos
- Bahrain Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos
- Kuwait Intro, 12 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue