"Tyler - My Birthplace" Tyler by american_tourister

Tyler Travel Guide: 60 reviews and 151 photos

My sister and I were born here. My father and brother still live here but other than when I was a baby I have never lived here. I visit some but it is a world apart from my lifestyle.

Tyler is East Texas redneck. I don't mean that in a bad way. I am a genetic redneck but never have really felt part of the culture here. The folks and way of life here are more akin to Arkansas and Northern Louisiana than they are to Central or South Texas.

It is an interesting place though. The people are genuinely friendly and will go out of their way to help with anything from directions to changing a tire. A Old South genteelness still is in existence here.

It is a place where you can still find old timers who hang out at the gas station and play checkers and where women have quilting nights. There are not a lot of places like it left.

It would be a shame for Tyler to change too much but I am afraid that it will. You can see it in all the new development and with the ever changing homoginization of American culture. It's all MTV everywhere now.

UPDATE - I was contacted by Pat Gee's Grandson who has informed me that they now serve beans and cole slaw.

• Pros:Last of the old Texas lifestyles
  • Cons:Depressed economy
  • In a nutshell:A great place to visit but I'm glad I don't live there
  • Last visit to Tyler: Aug 2001
  • Intro Updated Aug 11, 2007

american_tourister

“What the hell was that?”

Badges & Stats in Tyler