"Who's your Baghdaddy?" Top 5 Page for this destination Iraq by american_tourister
Iraq Travel Guide: 491 reviews and 1,668 photos
I have been in and out since the middle of October 2003. I did not have a lot of time to write at first because I worked 14-18 hour days, 7 days a week to build camps for the troops. This was followed by many other projects including some Civil Affairs projects for the locals.
I have many encounters now with Iraqis who are warm, hospitible, and are glad we are here. We bring the one thing that they have lacked for over 30 years. We bring hope. We bring hope that they can reclaim their country from anyone who would rule them regardless of religious standing or poltical affliation.
Most of the Iraqis want us to finish this off, give them stability, and then go home. That is what we want too. We want to help them on their feet, begin a democracy, and then go home.
None of us wants to stay, none of us want to kill. All of us have the conviction and the will to stay the course though. We came on a mission and it is not complete.
The coalition changed many times and many nations were a part but the stalwarts of the UK, Australia, Poland, Macedonia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania, and El Salvador are high on my friends list. They stayed with us through thick and thin. Some of the others cut and run for whatever reasons they had and that was their decision. I don't like it but it is what it is and I don't blame the people of those countries, just their weak leadership.
I hope I can return one day with my son and walk these mean stareets as a tourist. I would love to interact and see Iraq as it should be, an ancient and beautiful place which carries the mantle as the cradle of civilization.
- Pros:The most important job in the world
- Cons:bad guys
- In a nutshell:I am proud of what I have done!
You need something with straps that you can carry as a backpack. Wheeled luggage is useless on crushed rock and river... more travel advice
The USAF and the Army whalloped Saddam's vaunted Republican Guard. There is detoryed armor still littering the... more travel advice
american_tourister's Related Pages
Iraq Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Who's your Baghdaddy?"
- "Iraqi Kurdistan"
- "The American Experience Of The 21st Century"
- "Iraqi Kurdistan"
- "Northern Iraq"
- "Visiting Iraq"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Iraq
- Hotels in Iraq
- Transportation in Iraq
- Nightlife in Iraq
- Restaurants in Iraq
- Shopping in Iraq
- Warnings and Dangers in Iraq
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Iraq
- 29 Reviews
- 58 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Iraq?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Iraq
- Posted in Travel Bali Forum "Intercontinental Hotel Snorkeling"
- Uploaded a Video to Iraq
- updated a Iraq Travelogue "There is some humor in all of this......."
- Wrote a Review Bring Your Own Ammo in Iraq What to Pack
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bring Your Own Ammo"
- Commented on one of OMR's Iraq travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bosnia and Herzegovina Intro, 35 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Long Beach Intro, 24 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 31 reviews, 45 photos
- Budapest Intro, 26 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Los Angeles Intro, 13 reviews, 49 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zagreb Intro, 18 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos
- Bahrain Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos
- Kuwait Intro, 12 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue