"Who's your Baghdaddy?" Top 5 Page for this destination Iraq by american_tourister

Iraq Travel Guide: 469 reviews and 1,553 photos

It ain't over til it's over

I have been in and out since the middle of October 2003. I did not have a lot of time to write at first because I worked 14-18 hour days, 7 days a week to build camps for the troops. This was followed by many other projects including some Civil Affairs projects for the locals.

I have many encounters now with Iraqis who are warm, hospitible, and are glad we are here. We bring the one thing that they have lacked for over 30 years. We bring hope. We bring hope that they can reclaim their country from anyone who would rule them regardless of religious standing or poltical affliation.

Most of the Iraqis want us to finish this off, give them stability, and then go home. That is what we want too. We want to help them on their feet, begin a democracy, and then go home.

None of us wants to stay, none of us want to kill. All of us have the conviction and the will to stay the course though. We came on a mission and it is not complete.

The coalition changed many times and many nations were a part but the stalwarts of the UK, Australia, Poland, Macedonia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania, and El Salvador are high on my friends list. They stayed with us through thick and thin. Some of the others cut and run for whatever reasons they had and that was their decision. I don't like it but it is what it is and I don't blame the people of those countries, just their weak leadership.

I hope I can return one day with my son and walk these mean stareets as a tourist. I would love to interact and see Iraq as it should be, an ancient and beautiful place which carries the mantle as the cradle of civilization.

• Pros:The most important job in the world
  • Cons:bad guys
  • In a nutshell:I am proud of what I have done!
  • Last visit to Iraq: Dec 2007
  • Intro Updated Apr 23, 2008

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2008 at 8:51 AM

An eye opening travel page. Thanks for sharing.

• Nov 27, 2006 at 8:06 PM

I build modulars for comercial and military use in New England. I get to see alot of cool stuff But nothing like what you must see. Keep up the good work. Hey you get a Blackhawk, all I have is a beat F-450. LOL!! You have my dream job. Good luck BE SAFE.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2006 at 8:44 AM

Fascinating photos you have here James! Comments: Priceless!!

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2005 at 9:28 AM

Your words hit the nail flat on the head. Well written. Thanks.

• Bangkokjoe's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2005 at 12:07 AM

Top work. Thanks, Ian

• TinKan's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2005 at 10:37 PM

Glad to hear that the new DFAC is open for business. Keep up the great work and keep the humor coming. Great work and as always... we support you all 1000%

• Jul 16, 2005 at 6:33 PM

Great comments... Right on about CNN... I wish I could be there myself... I have a lot of hope for Iraq.... Thank God for the strong americans that have sacrificed so much to give Iraq a chance. Keep up the great work. God Bless the USA

• Independent_Traveler's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2005 at 12:01 PM

I went from laughing so loud, while reading Dave Barry's column to sobering silence from reading your webpages. Stay safe. We just learned about a kidnapping of an American in Iraq.

• Maximilian21's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2005 at 12:53 AM

disagree vehemently with most of your comments but your page was an interesting read. I hope you keep safe. one love

• Mar 6, 2005 at 6:50 PM

glad to hear the country is more stabilized now... my uncle leaves on Monday for a one year stay. :-( it's his second time around though, so i'm sure he'll fare well.... take care!!!

american_tourister Used To Live Here!

american_tourister

“What the hell was that?”

Badges & Stats in Iraq