"Way off the beaten path" Kaposvar by american_tourister
Kaposvar Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 41 photos
I was assigned here to conduct some classes for our company. While I was very busy with my curriculum, I did manage to get in a little site seeing. What struck me were three things.
1. Hungarian a very difficult language for me that is not related to anything else. The closest languages it is related to are Finnish and Turkish. Speculate all you want about this but it just does not fit in the area. It is not Slavic or Germanic. It has no root words that I recognized and the sentence structure is akimbo.
2. It is very, very clean. That I really liked. Cleanliness says a lot about a culture.
3. They had an American NATO presence here for several years and the locals really like Americans. That was refreshing after all the rampant anti-americanism I had recently seen in Rome.
I went back a few times for work related reasons and was starting to get used to the place. It has a real small town atmosphere but is big enough to have all the creature comforts needed. The population is about 60,000 and it is a perfect European size.
I never had a bad experience with anyone there. Everyone I dealt with was pleasant, and friendly. Overall it was a good place to be. Several of the guys I worked with married girls from here and some of them bought houses and settled here too. They commute from Iraq and Kuwait back here for R&R.
The ride from Bosnia took about 6 hours so by the time you saw this sign you were ready to un-a$$ the van and grab a beer!
It was overrun and occupied by Austrians, Germans, and Russians at one time or another. The people have a long history of being tough and resilient. They are very proud of their town and their heritage.
- Pros:Friendly, LOVE Americans.
- Cons:Tough language
- In a nutshell:Very different and very welcomed after 6 months in a war zone.
I enjoyed just walking around Kapsovar and seeing all the little places that you don't see from cars. These are some of... more travel advice
TESCO has everything from groceries to hardware. I found it to be very easy to shop in because it was laid out like an... more travel advice
american_tourister's Related Pages
Kaposvar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Way off the beaten path"
- "The local infopreneur"
- "***coming soon***"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kaposvar
- Hotels in Kaposvar
- Transportation in Kaposvar
- Nightlife in Kaposvar
- Restaurants in Kaposvar
- Shopping in Kaposvar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kaposvar
- 8 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Kaposvar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kaposvar
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bosnia and Herzegovina Intro, 35 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Long Beach Intro, 24 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 31 reviews, 45 photos
- Budapest Intro, 26 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Los Angeles Intro, 13 reviews, 49 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zagreb Intro, 18 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos
- Bahrain Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos
- Kuwait Intro, 12 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue