"Way off the beaten path" Kaposvar by american_tourister

Kaposvar Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 41 photos

Another day, another language hurdle.

I was assigned here to conduct some classes for our company. While I was very busy with my curriculum, I did manage to get in a little site seeing. What struck me were three things.

1. Hungarian a very difficult language for me that is not related to anything else. The closest languages it is related to are Finnish and Turkish. Speculate all you want about this but it just does not fit in the area. It is not Slavic or Germanic. It has no root words that I recognized and the sentence structure is akimbo.

2. It is very, very clean. That I really liked. Cleanliness says a lot about a culture.

3. They had an American NATO presence here for several years and the locals really like Americans. That was refreshing after all the rampant anti-americanism I had recently seen in Rome.

I went back a few times for work related reasons and was starting to get used to the place. It has a real small town atmosphere but is big enough to have all the creature comforts needed. The population is about 60,000 and it is a perfect European size.

I never had a bad experience with anyone there. Everyone I dealt with was pleasant, and friendly. Overall it was a good place to be. Several of the guys I worked with married girls from here and some of them bought houses and settled here too. They commute from Iraq and Kuwait back here for R&R.

A long trip

The ride from Bosnia took about 6 hours so by the time you saw this sign you were ready to un-a$$ the van and grab a beer!

Proud Heritage

It was overrun and occupied by Austrians, Germans, and Russians at one time or another. The people have a long history of being tough and resilient. They are very proud of their town and their heritage.

• Pros:Friendly, LOVE Americans.
  • Cons:Tough language
  • In a nutshell:Very different and very welcomed after 6 months in a war zone.
  • Last visit to Kaposvar: Jun 2003
  • Intro Updated Jul 10, 2007

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2008 at 2:09 PM

Beautiful street scene--reminds me a bit of some of the smaller streets in Debrecen.

• tamietann's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2008 at 5:33 PM

Tesco was one of my favorite places to go last summer. Just don't take pictures inside or the security guards chase you saying "Nem! Nem!" I was fun to read all the labels and figure out Hungarian words for simple things like peach yogurt, hot dogs, etc.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2008 at 10:42 PM

Lovely page, I agree a very difficult language indeed ;-)

• edvin_br's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2005 at 1:51 PM

Nice page! Some good info and pics! I remember those Tesco's from my last visit to Hungary.... there is one in every city i think....

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2003 at 6:41 PM

An excellent page with very clear photos! Your restaurant tips make my mouth water!

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2003 at 6:16 PM

The Borostyvan Hotel sounds very reasonable - good deal. Sounds like you were deprived of a good steak for a while.. just the restaurant for your fix:-) Good that you got some playtime in.

american_tourister

“What the hell was that?”

Badges & Stats in Kaposvar

Have you been to Kaposvar?

Latest Activity in Kaposvar