"A Unusual Feeling" Top 5 Page for this destination Medugorje by american_tourister
Medugorje Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 26 photos
I took a side trip here after completing a job in Mostar. I was escorted by Enis Hodzic who also worked for us. He drove and I played tourist and cameraman.
What I noticed most was the feelings and evidence of nationalism and religious difference. Even though we were in BiH the place was festooned with Croatian flags. These were not so much to signify the nationality of the residents but rather the religion. They are mostly Catholic and this is why they consider themselves Croats rather than Bosnians.
The entire time I was here I had unsual feelings. This is not Muslim Bosnia or Catholic Croatia, it is a mixed community and is still fractured. I did not like the way it made me feel.
My theory rings true here that there are still underlying elements that will bubble to the surface again next year, next decade, next century. Maybe not in our lfietimes again, but it will happen so long as the people focus on their differences rather than their similarities.
This is the main church (cathedral) in town. It is relatively new as most of it was rebuilt after the war.
Medjugorje was relatively untouched compared to most other towns in BiH .
They come as pilgrims. This is after all a major Catholic shrine.
When Enis and I got to this point I told him I was ready to go back. He asked if I was going to climb to the top. It was 105 degrees fahrenheit that day and I declined. Besides that I am a Protestant and climbing up there does me no good in St. Peter's book!
- Pros:An interesting side trip
- Cons:For religious reasons only
- In a nutshell:If you are a practicing Catholic you should go.
Even though this part of the country was spared the brunt of the fighting, farmers still till up a mine every now and... more travel advice
Like any toursit spot, this one has a buttload of places to choose from to eat at. You can get just about anything you... more travel advice
american_tourister's Related Pages
Medugorje Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Unusual Feeling"
- "Where Mary's Been Appearing"
- "Medjugorje Map"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Medugorje
- Hotels in Medugorje
- Transportation in Medugorje
- Restaurants in Medugorje
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Medugorje
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Medugorje?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Medugorje
- Posted in Travel Seoul Forum "Western Food Markets in Seoul"
- Commented on one of american_tourister's Medugorje travel pages
- updated a Medugorje Travel Page "A Unusual Feeling"
- Wrote a Review Mines are everywhere in this country in Medugorje Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Mines are everywhere in this country"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bosnia and Herzegovina Intro, 35 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Long Beach Intro, 24 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 31 reviews, 45 photos
- Budapest Intro, 26 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Los Angeles Intro, 13 reviews, 49 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zagreb Intro, 18 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos
- Bahrain Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos
- Kuwait Intro, 12 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue