"NATO Rules!" Brcko by american_tourister
Brcko Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 52 photos
Brcko (birch-ko) is a town situated right on the Sava river and directly across from Croatia. It is a real mix of Serb and Muslim and was one of the most bitterly contested areas during the war. There is still signifigant battle damage here and on the whole it has not recovered well.
There is still a lot of strife from the resettlement issues and I have heard many stories of squatters and police involvement after the war to return refugees to thier homes.
One fellow who works for us had to get the UN Police to have a Serb remove his cow and tractor from inside his house so he could begin rebuilding it. Another had to replace all the underground piping for the sewer as it had all been dug up.
This is also the only physical corridor that connects the East and West halves of Republika Srpska. The Federation has nominal jurisdiction over the area but it is called the Autonomous Region of Brcko. It is self ruled and not. It is controlled by the government in Sarajevo and it is not. It is really run through NATO and the EU Police. They keep order and allow the local goverment to operate in peace. On the whole they have done a fantastic job of repairing the area and getting the people to work together. This is probably the most contentuous area in Bosnia.
- Pros:Beautiful old Balkan City in a beautiful setting
- Cons:Severe war damage
- In a nutshell:Can't we all just get along?
american_tourister's Related Pages
Brcko Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "In the middle of contradiction"
- "Special Status"
- "Marcin75's Brcko Page"
- "Stef76's new Brcko Page"
- "NATO Rules!"
- "Brcko DC"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Brcko
- Transportation in Brcko
- Shopping in Brcko
- Warnings and Dangers in Brcko
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Brcko
- 0 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Brcko?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brcko
Photos in BrckoSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bosnia and Herzegovina Intro, 35 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Long Beach Intro, 24 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 31 reviews, 45 photos
- Budapest Intro, 26 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Los Angeles Intro, 13 reviews, 49 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zagreb Intro, 18 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos
- Bahrain Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos
- Kuwait Intro, 12 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue