"A town, a goat, a story" Top 5 Page for this destination Tuzla by american_tourister
Tuzla Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 73 photos
Tuzla is about 10 miles from where I was based while deployed in Bosnia. It is a pleasant town of about 100,000 people. It has the most amenities around the area and is the cultural and economic center of Northern Bosnia.
It has been settled by people for about 1000 years and has a very interesting history. Some of it's saddest history has been the last 25 years though.
Tuzla is the largest city in Northern Bosnia and was the location of some of the fiercest fighting in the recent war. I have heard many, many stories of hardship and suffering that were endured during the war. One of the most poignant was that of a woman I know here who worked for us.
She became pregnant during the war and had her child in the midst of the fighting. She had no pre natal care and when she went into labor there was no one to take her to the hospital. She walked alone while the city was under an artillery attack. No one was on the street except soldiers rushing from place to place. After delivering her child she was given 3 hours to recover before they bundled the baby and pushed her out of the hospital to make room for wounded soldiers. Once again she walked home alone, this time with her baby.
When I hear these accounts first hand it does not make me angry, it makes me sad. I am sad that good people always suffer in any conflict. I hope that the people here learned from the experience but I fear that they are doomed to have history repeat itself. There is a lot of simmering resentment and want for revenge here.
After 9 years US forces finally left Tuzla. It was a happy and sad event all at once. Happy because it meant that no one had to come over again as peacekeepers. Sad that a real US military success story was so undersung and lost in the hubub of the Iraq War.
I never saw one of these flying anywhere but I did not check out city hall either. A cool note about Tuzla though. It has the only salt water lake in the Balkans.
- Pros:A nice respite from the daily grind
- Cons:Fairly remote - You have to want to get there
- In a nutshell:Off the beaten tourist path but worth the trip
Once you get off the base you can indulge. Beer drinking is the past time of choice. There are a few decent beers... more travel advice
A little shop tucked away on the center of town and right behind the main mosque. It is a simple place that only serves... more travel advice
american_tourister's Related Pages
Tuzla Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A town, a goat, a story"
- "Moomie's all-around Tuzla page"
- "Tuzla, the City of Salt"
- "My hometown"
- "lavixwolf's Tuzla Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tuzla
- Hotels in Tuzla
- Transportation in Tuzla
- Nightlife in Tuzla
- Restaurants in Tuzla
- Shopping in Tuzla
- Warnings and Dangers in Tuzla
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tuzla
- 7 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Tuzla?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tuzla
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bosnia and Herzegovina Intro, 35 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Long Beach Intro, 24 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 31 reviews, 45 photos
- Budapest Intro, 26 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Los Angeles Intro, 13 reviews, 49 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zagreb Intro, 18 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos
- Bahrain Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos
- Kuwait Intro, 12 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue