"A town, a goat, a story" Top 5 Page for this destination Tuzla by american_tourister

Tuzla Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 73 photos

Crusin' the Korzo

Tuzla is about 10 miles from where I was based while deployed in Bosnia. It is a pleasant town of about 100,000 people. It has the most amenities around the area and is the cultural and economic center of Northern Bosnia.

It has been settled by people for about 1000 years and has a very interesting history. Some of it's saddest history has been the last 25 years though.

Tuzla is the largest city in Northern Bosnia and was the location of some of the fiercest fighting in the recent war. I have heard many, many stories of hardship and suffering that were endured during the war. One of the most poignant was that of a woman I know here who worked for us.

She became pregnant during the war and had her child in the midst of the fighting. She had no pre natal care and when she went into labor there was no one to take her to the hospital. She walked alone while the city was under an artillery attack. No one was on the street except soldiers rushing from place to place. After delivering her child she was given 3 hours to recover before they bundled the baby and pushed her out of the hospital to make room for wounded soldiers. Once again she walked home alone, this time with her baby.

When I hear these accounts first hand it does not make me angry, it makes me sad. I am sad that good people always suffer in any conflict. I hope that the people here learned from the experience but I fear that they are doomed to have history repeat itself. There is a lot of simmering resentment and want for revenge here.

US Forces have left the area

After 9 years US forces finally left Tuzla. It was a happy and sad event all at once. Happy because it meant that no one had to come over again as peacekeepers. Sad that a real US military success story was so undersung and lost in the hubub of the Iraq War.

The Tuzlanski flag

I never saw one of these flying anywhere but I did not check out city hall either. A cool note about Tuzla though. It has the only salt water lake in the Balkans.

• Pros:A nice respite from the daily grind
  • Cons:Fairly remote - You have to want to get there
  • In a nutshell:Off the beaten tourist path but worth the trip
  • Last visit to Tuzla: Jun 2003
  • Intro Updated Dec 18, 2009

• Oct 14, 2009 at 10:13 PM

good description an im happy 2 see u enjoy my town:) hope u get a chance 2 visit now after all,Tuzla in 2009 its nothang like used to be,alot of construction has been done 2 it, i think u wuld enjoy ..its beatiful..Much Love 4 U my friends...Peace

• Tuzlanka's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2003 at 10:28 PM

Wow your page, your experience, and your thoughts about my city has brought me to tears, nice page and I'm glad that you like my city. I hope you get to see my city the way we do... Good luck Vedrana

• ocicat's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2003 at 7:42 AM

Hi James! Maybe I'll get to see Tuzla. :-D TJ

• Sep 13, 2003 at 6:56 AM

very sad page about tuzla, but also very interesting information.......nice page!

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2003 at 3:25 PM

How sad for the children. What an interesting legend of the goat though. So cheap to eat there. I hope you get to see more. Happy Birthday James.

• Jan 23, 2003 at 2:25 PM

Cijela Tuzla jednu kozu muzla!

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2003 at 10:33 PM

A bitter sweet page. Nicely presented James!

american_tourister

“What the hell was that?”

Badges & Stats in Tuzla