"Another Cruise Ship Stop" Belize City by american_tourister
Belize City Travel Guide: 250 reviews and 505 photos
We were on a Carnival Cruise from Galveston and stopped for a day in Belize. We had opted for family excursions we could enjoy with Tanner so on this day we picked the city tour and the Zoo.
I figured we would see a charming British colonial town and a beat up zoo with wretched creatures. Boy was I wrong! It was the other way around.
The zoo is wonderful and the town is wretched. The town has obviously come a long way in a short time due to tourism but independance, lack of post high school education, micro economy dependant on foreigners, and inhospitable climate add up to serious economic disadvantage.
It has some neat spots, beuaty, grace and areas of life but this is tempered with poverty and the beginning of a drug problem.
The zoo is about 45 minutes from town on the motor coach and is well worth the visit. The collection of animals is amazing and they are kept in a truly natural habitat. I took the photo of the Toucan from about 6 feet.
The city has no pier for cruise ships so they must anchor at sea and the wait for tenders to come from the tourist village for the passengers. This made getting ashore and back a bit awkward for some unless you had purchased a pre paid excursion like we did.
It is about a 45 minute trip one way and there were several folks topside who were thoroughly drenched when we went through a squall.
Belize is part of the Commonwealth of Nations which puts it in the same class as Canada, Australia, new Zealand, etc. It is independant but still recognizes the British monarchy as its titular head of state. The Queen is on the money too. There is a parlimentary democracy with a Prime Minister as head of the working government and there is a British governor General who represents the United Kingdom.
- Pros:Everyone speaks English, cheaper than Cozumel
- Cons:Visible poverty, very hot and humid
- In a nutshell:Will be world class in a short time. Visit now before it changes.
The British at least taught the people here how to make beer. There is just nothing better on a hot, sweltering day than... more travel advice
Did not stay there but heard from some who did. They said that almost no one wins in the casino. That alone is reason... more travel advice
american_tourister's Related Pages
Belize City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Belize ~ Dedicated to Wildlife Preservation"
- "Belize City - I've Seen Better!"
- "Seedy Old Colonial Capital"
- "Belize City and Countryside - Dec. 2004"
- "Belize City"
- "belize city"
- "Belize City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Belize City
- Hotels in Belize City
- Transportation in Belize City
- Nightlife in Belize City
- Restaurants in Belize City
- Shopping in Belize City
- Warnings and Dangers in Belize City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Belize City
- 7 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (24)
Have you been to Belize City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Belize City
Photos in Belize CitySee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bosnia and Herzegovina Intro, 35 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Long Beach Intro, 24 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 31 reviews, 45 photos
- Budapest Intro, 26 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Los Angeles Intro, 13 reviews, 49 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zagreb Intro, 18 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos
- Bahrain Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos
- Kuwait Intro, 12 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue