"As recognized as Turkish Cyprus" Republika Srpska by american_tourister
Republika Srpska Travel Guide: 566 reviews and 1,569 photos
Republika Srpska is what the Serbian dominated part of Bosnia is called. It was carved out by the Dayton Peace Accords and includes two enclaves in NE and NW Bosnia. It has it's own police force and military that is separate from the rest of Bosnia but uses the same money. It has a different postal system but is on the same electrical grid. Like East Germany and the Turkish Republic of Cyrpus, it is a fraction of the whole and will some day be part of Bosnia (BiH) again. The only way you tell you have left the Federation of Bosnia Hercegovina is that the signs change from a Latin alphabet to the Cyrillic alphabet.
These are some of the graves from the massacre at Srebrinica. Several thousand people were slaughtered here after the city capitulated. Much has been written on the subject but the best I have read yet is a book called "End Game." It tells in detail what happened here.
RS is not nearly as economically developed as BiH nor has the damage from the war been repaired. There is much more apparent damage here than in BiH. BiH has major, major economic issues and RS has even more as it is somewhat of a pariah state in the eyes of investors.
I received this email from a VT member in 2006. Even though it has been over 4 years since I was here I still have the same views. I don't hate Serbs, I don't hate Muslims. I do hate what they did to their own country though.
What's up tourister
It is not your fault you are talking dirty about serbians
you know what you read
but what you do not know is they did not bombarded serbian side of bosnia they
and guess what do you have any clue how many serbs were living in Bosnia before
and what percentage of serbians living in croatia before the war
in Bosnia you have 49 % serbians still because of serbian part
Croatia 40% after war 0%
I guess you are American
Do you have any clue what is Bosnian muslims favorite holiday 9/11 New york
remmeber they are muslims too
They celebrated 9/11 in Sarajevo if you did not know this information
Who hang Bin Ladens picture in police station in BRCKO district your bosnian
who celebrated Britain buss bombings madrid train
and who is recruiting young muslims to go to fight wholy war in IRAQ your
innocent muslims from SARAJEVO
They hate cristians first read than say
That is an interesting commentary I must say.
- Pros:A soul shaking place to visit
- Cons:Depressed economically and socially
- In a nutshell:Recognized and support by Serbia, shunned by others
Site of the worst massacre in Europe since WWII. The Serbians are in the same denial phase that some of the folks are... more travel advice
There is not a lot of money here and consequently there are some older means of dealing with life. It is very common to... more travel advice
american_tourister's Related Pages
Republika Srpska Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Smaller Serbian State"
- "As recognized as Turkish Cyprus"
- "Republika Srpska, the Serbian state in Bosnia"
- "Republika Srpska"
- "Rich rewards...."
- "The Cyrillic half of the country"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Republika Srpska
- Hotels in Republika Srpska
- Transportation in Republika Srpska
- Nightlife in Republika Srpska
- Restaurants in Republika Srpska
- Shopping in Republika Srpska
- Warnings and Dangers in Republika Srpska
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Republika Srpska
- 10 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Republika Srpska?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Republika Srpska
Photos in Republika SrpskaSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bosnia and Herzegovina Intro, 35 reviews, 51 photos, 4 travelogues
- Long Beach Intro, 24 reviews, 57 photos, 3 travelogues
- London Intro, 31 reviews, 45 photos
- Budapest Intro, 26 reviews, 41 photos, 2 travelogues
- Los Angeles Intro, 13 reviews, 49 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zagreb Intro, 18 reviews, 41 photos, 3 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rome Intro, 20 reviews, 21 photos
- Bahrain Intro, 14 reviews, 23 photos
- Kuwait Intro, 12 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue