"ISLE OF WIGHT - IN A TIME WARP?" Isle of Wight by zuriga

Isle of Wight Travel Guide: 42 reviews and 220 photos

OFF TO VENTNOR

I've always wanted to visit the Isle of Wight. I think the film, 'Mrs. Brown,' reinforced that wish a few years ago although I wonder how much was actually shot on the island. We finally got there in May, 2006 and thoroughly enjoyed our two nights and 3 days of wandering around. It's a large island with several good-size cities. In between there are miles of green fields, golden rape and all around there is the sea and the beautiful cliffs. We found some very good restaurants, a wonderful B&B and much to see. Nothing seems to have changed there in probably 50 years - a typical, British seaside resort place. It was good for the soul.

Most beautiful of all was Osborne House, home to Queen Victoria and her family for many summer vacations. In sharp contrast was Castle Carisbrooke - an ancient home and the last place Charles i was imprisoned.

The island is host to a great many festivals throughout the year - walking in May and the famous music festival, too.

• Last visit to Isle of Wight: May 2006
  • Intro Updated May 23, 2006

• aaaarrgh's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2011 at 5:47 AM

Goodness me! I can't believe there is only one travel page for IOW! Well done for kick starting the tourist invasion ;o)

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2010 at 11:50 PM

I've always felt an attraction to the Isle of Wight too. Thanks for the intro/info. A careless solliciter in the Old Bank Chambers... no thank you! hahaha

• thegreynomad's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2010 at 1:11 PM

A good informative page on the Isle of Wight. Do hope to visit one day.

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2008 at 10:20 AM

My earliest memory is of being in a small rowboat at the Isle of Wight. Will get back some day. Birthday greetings from Alaska!

• diosh's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2008 at 3:35 PM

Isn't the Isle of Wight wonderful? Stuck in 1957! D x

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2008 at 2:30 PM

My daughter went to school in Bembridge for two years, back when that school still existed, but I don't remember the windmill. I see you have signed up for EuroMeet 2008 in Karlsruhe, so I look forward to meeting you there.

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2007 at 1:06 AM

So nice to see your pages of the Island! Brings back some memories... The careless solicitor sign is a gem. Read my pages and see if u can find the connection between Minghella ice cream and The film 'The English Patient'.Tim

• Oct 5, 2006 at 1:44 PM

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. The Spyglass is cheap and frozen food plus it is one of the roughest pubs in Ventnor. I love the Richmond, the food is fantastic and I think that you have no idea what you are talking about.

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2006 at 3:55 AM

Hello June. This place truly looks like a lovely location to visit.... I absolutely adore Billy Connolly & subsequently "Mrs Brown", that's how I stumbled across this location. Thanks for the beautiful tips & photos! Jess :-)

• Spincat's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2006 at 10:20 AM

I really enjoyed these pages as we came back from taking my mother in law to I of W a few weeks back. Great pics of Osbourne House. Definitely agree Ventnor in need sprucing up!

zuriga

“It`s never too late for changing one`s script.”

Badges & Stats in Isle of Wight

Have you been to Isle of Wight?

Latest Activity in Isle of Wight